Posted on September 14, 2012
Director, Human Resources and Office Admnistration
Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law
Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law - Director, Human Resources and Office Admnistration
The Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law is a non-partisan public policy and law institute that focuses on the fundamental issues of democracy and justice. Our work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from racial justice in criminal law to maintaining checks and balances in the fight against terrorism. A singular institution – part think tank, part public interest law firm, part advocacy group – the Brennan Center combines scholarship, legislative and legal advocacy, and communications to win meaningful, measurable change in the public sector.
We seek an experienced, organized and thoughtful manager to perform the human resources and office administration functions for a growing organization of 65attorneys, research associates and other professional and support staff. The Director, HR and Administration will report to the Chief Operating Officer and supervise the Finance and Operations Associate and the Operations Assistant.
Policies and Procedures
- Provide expertise in and conduct as needed the design, development, and maintenance of human resources policies, programs, and systems that reflect organizational needs, and the values and culture of Brennan Center;
- Maintain up-to-date legal compliance and undertake best practices research.
- Design and lead compensation, career pathing, and succession planning administration.
- Play a lead role in creating and sustaining a positive work environment , managing employee relations and promoting office morale;
- Design and implement performance review structure and tools; maintain all performance documents;
- Assist and advise supervisors on staff performance concerns and procedures;
- Identify and implement training and support needs and resources;
- Research, recommend, and administer employee benefits; manage employee enrollment and open enrollment periods; oversee all plan agreements, documents, and renewals; Manage external brokers and vendors;
- Ensure regulatory and plan compliance; handle unemployment and disability claims, COBRA and other benefit notifications, and tax filing requests (with Finance);
Recruiting and Staffing
- Counsel managers and staff around content and process for new hires;
- Coordinate with COO and Controller on staffing budget;
- Prepare or vet job descriptions for new and open positions;
- Oversee sourcing, search, and selection processes, including: identify posting/sourcing sites, review resumes, initiate candidate selection, conduct interviews and reference checks, make employment offer;
- Oversee orientation and coordinate all on-boarding documents and processes;
- Conduct research and outreach to enhance talent recruitment and resources.
- Coordinate and work with attorney coordinators on summer legal intern program
- Recruit and hire undergraduate student interns
- Oversee all plant and equipment, office management and space planning, working with an associate, assistant/receptionist and other staff as designated.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's Degree; Master's Degree in Human Resources or a related field preferred; PHR or SPHR certification a plus
A minimum of 5-7 years of experience as a Human Resources Generalist or equivalent, 2-3 in a nonprofit setting preferred.
Demonstrated experience in advising on and administering HR regulations and policies, performance evaluations, and implementation of benefits and leave systems; comprehensive knowledge of state and federal employment laws and benefits law; proven ability to effectively source and prescreen candidates; ability to work independently and to research solutions on a broad array of HR disciplines and make sound, thoughtful recommendations on actions and policies; ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion in relationships and exercise sound judgment.
Office management experience.
Strong organizational skills, including document and information management; meticulous attention to detail and precision in all work.
Demonstrated relationship-building and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal skills, and flexibility; high degree of professionalism and authority.
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Highly computer literate, including Microsoft Office applications, and payroll (ADP).
The Brennan Center, an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, is strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations, and applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package, including ample vacation allowance.
Please upload a cover letter and resume at http://brennancenter.theresumator.com/apply/VLHtCV/Director-Human-Resources-And-Office-Admnistration.html?source=fdncenter . The deadline for applications is October 10, 2012.