Posted on February 26, 2013
Outreach and Training Coordinator
Community Catalyst - Outreach and Training Coordinator
Community Catalyst is a national, non-profit consumer advocacy organization founded in 1997 with the belief that affordable quality health care should be accessible to everyone. We work in partnership with national, state and local organizations, policymakers, and philanthropic foundations to ensure the interests of all people are heard and represented wherever important decisions about health and the health system are made: in communities, courtrooms, statehouses and on Capitol Hill. Over the years, we have helped build a consumer health advocacy movement across the country, defended vital health care programs for the uninsured and underserved, held health care institutions and corporations accountable to the public interest, and run national campaigns on emerging health care issues. At Community Catalyst, we believe that our people are our strength. Their knowledge, commitment and talents drive our accomplishments. Our staff members are established experts in health policy, advocacy, organizational development, community organizing, law, communications and strategic planning. They provide strategic advice, information, and resources that facilitate communities, consumer advocates, health care providers, foundations and policymakers working together at the local, state and federal level to achieve health policy and system changes that benefit all people.
We seek an Outreach and Training Coordinator to join our Hospital Accountability Project. The Outreach and Training Coordinator will provide and coordinate a range of technical assistance to state and local consumer organizations in community organizing, training, and coalition-building. This person may also provide advice on policy analysis and campaign strategies. The Outreach and Training Coordinator will serve as key contact for state and local partners across the country and is expected to consistently provide excellent service to our partners and to represent our partners’ needs and goals within Community Catalyst. The Outreach and Training Coordinator will be a leader and catalyst in the design and implementation of successful, cutting-edge community engagement and training programs, and will also serve as a liaison to hospital and public health leaders, government agencies, and national organizations. This position is supervised by the Hospital Acc ountability Project Director, is a member of the Hospital Accountability Project Team, and collaborates with other staff at Community Catalyst.
- Create Tools and Facilitate Support for State and Local Initiatives. Working with the Hospital Accountability Project Director, you will develop, implement, and evaluate trainings and educational materials on community benefit for local use in selected sites and with other audiences.
- Mobilize Organizations to Support Policy Change. You will develop resources and manage outreach tactics to build wide support for strong state, federal, and institutional standards for hospital community benefit programs.
- Coordinate and Manage Learning Community. You will be responsible for managing a national network. This includes facilitating peer-to-peer learning opportunities; providing coaching on developing collaborations and partnerships between community and hospital stakeholders; and building relationships with organizations that have a stake in community benefit such as advocates, community- and faith-based organizations, hospitals, public health, and labor.
- Write and Speak to a Wide Range of Audiences. You will be responsible for writing fresh content for the Community Catalyst blog and website and for representing the Hospital Accountability Project at conferences and meetings. Audiences will vary from small community-based and advocacy organizations to policymakers, hospitals, and public health leaders.
- Limited travel is required.
Successful applicants should have:
- Experience in adult education and curriculum development, training or facilitation
- Experience in community organizing, coalition building, and/or grassroots engagement Demonstrable communications skills, including public speaking, with an ability to adapt complex information for lay and professional audiences
- Sound political judgment
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Solid leadership, team-building, and negotiation skills
- High standards for your own work and the work of others Familiarity with health policy, hospital administration or public health a plus Successful applicants should be:
- Hard-working and detail-oriented
- Comfortable juggling multiple projects and negotiating competing priorities
- Able to work independently, in team settings, and with diverse groups of people Interested in policymaking at the local, state and federal levels
- Committed to social justice
- Bilingual candidates a plus
Generous paid time off policy
Robust benefits package
Convenient downtown Boston location
Applicants should submit a resume with a one page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Training and Outreach Coordinator – Hospital Accountability Project” in the Subject line.
Join an organization at the forefront of health care advocacy across the nation. For more information on Community Catalyst and other career opportunities, please go to www.communitycatalyst.org (About Us). Community Catalyst is an equal opportunity employer with a demonstrated commitment to diversity in the workplace. Persons of color and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.