Posted on December 23, 2012
Executive, Development and Strategic Advancement
REDF - Executive, Development and Strategic Advancement
REDF’s senior executive for Development and Strategic Advancement partners with REDF’s senior management to position REDF as a key contributor to the growth of the social enterprise marketplace. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned professional experienced in strategically engaging funding partners and generating revenue to make a significant contribution.
The senior executive for Development and Strategic Advancement works closely with the President, the senior management team, and the Board of Directors. This individual has primary responsibility for generating new and expanded contributions to REDF and prioritizing REDF’s partnership strategies with individual, foundation, corporate and government donors. S/he engages across REDF departments to understand REDF’s and the field’s funding needs and opportunities, leveraging this knowledge to develop strategies that will demonstrate REDF’s value to the funding community.
S/he provides and is accountable for the leadership, strategic direction, management, and quality of all development operations and development-related events. Acting as a ‘player/coach’ for the development team, she/he will grow the team and help build the development department infrastructure.
This person must believe in the mission of REDF, and embrace the central importance of work to both improve the lives of individuals facing barriers to employment, and the greater social impact job creation has on society as a whole.
This position reports to the President.
See What a Job Can Do
REDF creates jobs that change lives. For individuals facing significant barriers, access to gainful employment can seem impossible. REDF has pioneered a venture philanthropy model to employ those who are overcoming chronic poverty, homelessness, criminal history, substance abuse or mental illness by investing in nonprofit-run businesses called ‘social enterprises.’
Since 1997, REDF (The Roberts Enterprise Development Fund) has provided funding and business assistance to a portfolio of social enterprises and has helped employ more than 6,700 people in two of the most diverse regions of the country – the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles. Now we’re taking our model to scale and working across our state’s innovative business environment. We will create jobs for thousands more Californians while developing a replicable social enterprise model to bring adults and young people into the economic mainstream throughout the country. In order to accomplish these ambitious goals, REDF is embarking on a significant fundraising effort.
- Design, implement and evaluate a comprehensive multi-year development strategy, incorporating individual, foundation, corporation, and public funders
- Contribute to development of strategy to generate increased funding for social enterprise, and support implementation
- Bring a donor and revenue perspective to REDF’s strategy and annual business plan
- Communicate with colleagues across the organization, the Board of Directors, and REDF’s Advisors and partners to facilitate their engagement in the fundraising effort.
- Provides support for President and Board related to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities; Lead support for Board of Directors Fund Development Committee,
- With the communications staff, develops and implements a variety of communications strategies and vehicles to support development and fundraising initiatives,
- Provides leadership, performance management, and coaching, and oversees the work of the development team.
- Oversees and leads development events including the annual Expo + Benefit, board hosted parties, and donor recognition and solicitation events with the support of REDF’s communications, events, and administrative staff.
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s degree or related field or equivalent work experience; Master’s Degree a plus
7+ years of progressively responsible experience with foundations, donors, fundraising/development encompassing but not limited to: developing funding strategies, annual fund campaigns, major gifts solicitation, and cultivation and stewardship of individual donors, foundations, corporations, and public sources—five or more of those years in a leadership position. (Will consider candidates with combined for profit, philanthropy, and nonprofit fundraising/development experience.)
Knowledge of and experience with major San Francisco Bay Area, California, and national sources of funding, with a demonstrated record of forming relationships with local and national businesses, government funders, and the philanthropic community. Knowledge of national funding and fundraising trends and issues that impact the nonprofit sector is a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- An excellent manager who has professional poise and exceptional written and verbal communication skills including the ability to speak and write persuasively about an organization
- A demonstrated track record of achieving ambitious fundraising goals
- Possesses the ability to delegate with accountability
- A team-builder with the ability to motivate, train and lead staff and volunteers in the implementation of the fund development program
- Demonstrated knowledge of software and donor data base applications (Salesforce a plus)
- Effective collaborator and team player
- Highly organized, able to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
Position is considered sedentary and no unusual physical requirements are necessary to perform most daily tasks. Position requires extended period of sitting, with much of the work done at a computer workstation and telephone. Certain computer applications, programs, and documents may require an ability to differentiate colors, shapes, and symbols.
Position requires the ability to drive an automobile independently (must have a valid CA driver’s license).
Ability to help craft REDF’s next 15 years of impact
Work with passionate, dedicated people
Apply your passion for social change in your career
Operate with a high degree of autonomy in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Competitive, comprehensive benefits package
Please submit resume and cover letter as one file through REDF’s online applicant portal.
Visit our website for additional job opportunities with REDF or with an organization in our portfolio.
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees, and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves.