Posted on October 9, 2012
Major Gifts Officer
A Better Chance
A Better Chance - Major Gifts Officer
A Better Chance is the preeminent national resource for identifying, recruiting and developing leaders among young people of color throughout the United States. Through its historic signature program, the College Preparatory Schools Program, A Better Chance has placed more than 13,000 middle and high school students in some of the nation’s finest college preparatory schools, both private and public. Once students graduate from their A Better Chance schools, they become “Alumni.”
The Major Gifts Officer for the Western U.S. (official title is “Major Gifts Officer”) is a new position to help meet A Better Chance’s growing fundraising needs. The Major Gifts Officer will share responsibility for managing and growing the DreamBuilder program (A Better Chance’s major donor society) and the contributed income from all individuals from the western U.S. Duties will evolve as the organization grows and deepens its donor base, proceeds with its 50th Anniversary campaign. Based out of the Oakland, California office, this is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package. This position reports to the Director of Development and is available starting January 2, 2013.
- Work closely with the President, Director of Development and the Senior Manager of Individual Giving & Alumni Relations (based out of the New York office for the Eastern U.S.) to grow the major gift program in the West.
- Manage and track a comprehensive pipeline of prospects and donors in the area.
- Identify and qualify prospects capable of making significant gifts to A Better Chance, specifically for the 50th Anniversary campaign.
- Develop individual major gift strategies for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gift prospects.
- Identify and create special giving opportunities and develop tailored proposals and gift requests.
- Maintain a high level of personal contact with DreamBuilders (donors) of $1,200 or more with an emphasis on soliciting, upgrading, and renewing gifts through personalized correspondence, telephone calls, events, and visits.
- Recruit and manage activities of the Western U.S. regional capital campaign leadership, a group of volunteers who support the organization and serve as ambassadors to other donors.
- Work closely with National Office staff to plan and execute strategies for maximizing support including setting goals, creating appeals, and coordinating direct mail and phonathon efforts.
- Work closely with the Development Associate to design and implement a comprehensive calendar of cultivation and stewardship events for donors and prospects, including major donor receptions and activities around Interview Days in the Western U.S.
- Staff A Better Chance’s President and leadership during visits to the Western U.S.
- Support regional National Advisory Council (a coordinated group of volunteer fundraisers and program advocates) events.
- Other duties as assigned, including participation in A Better Chance organizational and programmatic efforts.
Work with Director of Development and the Senior Manager of Individual Giving & Alumni Relations to set quarterly, annual and longer-term objectives, strategies and tactical action plans in support of overall business plan.
Coordinate with Senior Manager of Individual Giving & Alumni Relations to produce documentation in preparation for quarterly Board meetings.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- BS/BA or commensurate professional experience.
- Five (5) or more years of professional experience in development, non-profit management, or sales or new business development.
- Experience developing and sustaining meaningful relationships with major donors, Board members, volunteers, staff, community and political leaders, businesspeople, and other stakeholders.
- Strong track record in prospecting, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts.
- Exemplary communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities without compromising quality.
- Excellent computer skills and advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office programs; proficiency with Raiser’s Edge.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and as a team player with a wide range of constituents and colleagues. Past experience or demonstrated ability to work as the sole representative of a department in a satellite office, reporting to a supervisor who is based off-site (in this case, in New York).
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to the mission and growth of A Better Chance.
- Ability to travel, with some evening and weekend work required.
- Experience working with political campaigns, capital campaigns and/or in independent school/university fundraising a plus.
Please submit a résumé, cover letter indicating salary requirements, and a 1-3 page writing sample (an ask letter or donor proposal preferred) to (Mr.) Sunil Oommen, Director of Development, at Careers2@abetterchance.org. Cover letters without salary indications will be prioritized lower. No phone calls, please.