Posted on June 19, 2012
Education Through Music
Education Through Music - Executive Director - ETM Bay Area
Education Through Music Bay Area (ETM-Bay Area) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded as an independent licensed affiliate of Education through Music, Inc. based in New York City. ETM-Bay Area promotes the integration of music into the curricula of schools serving disadvantaged areas in order to enhance students' academic performance and general development. Our program activities follow the Education Through Music (ETM®) Model of Music Education which has had proven success in New York City since 1991.
ETM-Bay Area employs a comprehensive approach that incorporates music into the education of every child, including those with special needs. We ensure high-quality instruction by hiring qualified music teachers, providing ongoing training and structured mentoring, and performing regular program assessments. We encourage classroom teachers and music teachers to collaborate so that music can reinforce learning and development in all areas, and we help schools embrace music as a core subject by involving all members of the school community. (www.etmbayarea.org)
ETM-Bay Area is seeking a person who will begin as a part-time employee. Hours will increase as the Executive Director meets the following goals:
In collaboration with the Board of Directors the ED will have responsibility for determining the direction of ETM-Bay Area. The Executive Director will be involved in setting standards, articulating ETM-Bay Area vision, promoting and modeling its core values.
The Executive Director will Have overall strategic and operational responsibility for ETM-Bay Area's staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. The Executive Director (ED) will initially become familiar with the ETM® Model of Music Education as well as ETM-Bay Area's core programs, operations, and business plans.
The Executive Director will increase ETM-Bay Area's contribution to the community and will be instrumental in the transition to the next phase of the organizational growth and development. He or she will provide strategic and tactical leadership to the senior team including the Director of Programs and Development Director, and the staff. The position gives tremendous opportunity for a leader who enjoys creating and implementing innovative ideas.
- Create and maintain a culture of professional excellence visible throughout the organization's programming, fundraising, communications, and administrative activities
- Lead organizational efforts to define strategic goals and achieve them
- Maintain high standards of financial management and reporting
- Coordinate and liaise with staff of Education Through Music, Inc. to help ensure mutual accountability under ETM-Bay Area's written Affiliation agreement
- Actively engage and energize ETM-Bay Area's volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders
- Recruit and lead a high-performing staff
- Create and manage systems to track progress and regularly evaluate program components, accurately measuring results that can be communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- The Executive Director is responsible for the overall program/policy development and implementation in accord with the vision and mission of the organization
- Oversee expansion of ETM-Bay Area's music education programs in partnering schools, supporting partnering schools in sustaining their music programs by helping them to hire their own music teachers and to oversee their music programs independently
- The ED will develop budgets for submission to the Board; ensure compliance with approved budgets; propose revisions as necessary; provide for the appropriate control and accountability of all funds, physical assets and other property. He or she will ensure accurate, clear, timely financial and program information to the Board
- He or she will bring opportunities to expand, improve, and revise ETM-Bay Area programs including acquiring, merging or aligning with complimentary organizations and recommend appropriate action to the Board
- The ED will ensure optimum staffing and utilization of competent staff including developing higher levels of expertise in staff members by encouraging further education, participation in work-related seminars and providing learning opportunities within the organization
- The ED will work with the Board and ETM-New Yorkto shape the strategic plan being that will result in maximum effectiveness and impact
PUBLIC RELATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT:
- The Executive Director will participate in public relations activities to improve the public's recognition of ETM-Bay Area's programs and activities. Representing ETM-Bay Area the ED will actively promote and engage in regular communications with all of the critical ETM-Bay Area partners to develop their interest in ETM-Bay Area.
- The Executive Director will develop effective partnerships, collaborations, and strategic alliances with foundations, government agencies, corporations, private doors and other sources of funds within the nonprofit industry to ensure the fiscal and operational strength of the organization
- The ED will support the Board in board development and expansion demonstrating leadership that inspires trust by the Board
- The ED will facilitate Board involvement in setting the organization's strategic direction, fundraising, securing other key resources and relationships, and evaluating the organization's programmatic impact
DEVELOPMENT AND FUNDRAISING:
- Work with the part-time Development Director to develop and execute a fundraising plan that will support and grow existing program operations and regional expansion.
- Act as a spokesperson for ETM-Bay Area. Develop and implement public communication strategies in coordination with Education Through Music, Inc. with the goal of creating a stronger and more widely recognized brand synonymous with high-quality, sustainable music education.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to ETM-Bay Area's mission and vision of making high-quality music education available to all children in the San Francisco Bay Area. All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience. Relevant experience and other qualifications include:
- Senior management experience, preferably in nonprofit management, with a relevant degree. Executive Director experience preferred.
- Evidence of a personal connection to the organization's mission.
- Track record of effectively leading and growing an organization and staff that shows a commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Experience in developing and leading high-performing teams, setting and achieving strategic objectives, managing multiple simultaneous projects, and managing within a budget.
- Past success working with a board of directors and cultivating new directors.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience showing an ability to engage a wide range of supporters with a demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively and passionately in a variety of mediums and situations.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated skills in staffing effectively, selecting, training and developing management level staff, directing staff toward desired goals which resulted in a low turnover rate.
- Proven financial Acumen -- Must have a track record of prudence in developing and meeting balanced budgets. A strong working knowledge of general business operations in a non-profit and human/social services; a hands-on, detail-oriented manager with outstanding implementation skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; and the ability to serve with tact, diplomacy, and poise as one of the organization's principal spokesperson to the public (via the media).
- A leader who is inspiring, trustworthy with high integrity and ethical standards and is interested in a long-term tenure.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
The right person will find the position as Executive Director for ETM- Bay Area highly rewarding.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
This Search is being conducted by:
Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership Transition Services
To be considered as an applicant:
Email Resume and Cover Letter in two separate documents in .doc or .pdf format, in confidence to:TransitionServices@cvnl.org
Please include in your cover letter how you heard about us
Please include in your resume your LinkedIn profile link url and all previous employer's URLs
Please put "[Last name] ETM-Bay Area Executive Director Search" in the Subject line
Resumes and cover letters must be received by July 13, 2012.