Posted on February 17, 2012
Chain-of-Custody Support Coordinator
Rainforest Alliance - Chain of Custody Support Coordinator
Title: Chain of Custody Support Coordinator – Traceability Unit, Sustainable Agriculture Division
Reports to: Manager – Traceability Unit, Sustainable Agriculture Division
Location: New York, NY, Washington DC, or Richmond, VT
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
Under the auspices of the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN), an international coalition of leading conservation groups, the Rainforest Alliance’s Sustainable Agriculture Division works with farmers to ensure compliance with the SAN standards for protecting wildlife, farm land, workers’ rights and local communities. Farms that meet these rigorous environmental, ethical and economic standards are awarded the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal.
The Sustainable Agriculture Division consists of the Sustainable Landscapes Program, the Sustainable Value Chains Program, the Sustainable Agriculture Auditing Services Program, the Traceability Unit and Program Administration. The work of the Sustainable Agriculture Division is closely linked to the work of the SAN Secretariat, housed in Rainforest Alliance’s Costa Rica office.
The Chain of Custody (CoC) Support Coordinator will be responsible for supporting Rainforest Alliance and SAN teams by providing information about the Chain of Custody = Certification process globally. In collaboration with internal staff members, this person will be the point person for CoC standard and policy interpretation and related questions from CBs. S/he will be responsible for gathering and providing the traceability and Use of Seal data needed for CBs in preparation of an audit. S/he will work with the SAN Secretariat to organize and conduct CoC training events for Certification Bodies (CBs) worldwide. Functions include serving as a key liaison to CBs on traceability and Use of Seal reports requested prior to an audit. Through regular contact with external organizations and companies, this position will also support the review of the SAN Rainforest Alliance CoC Certification Policy and Standard including providing information, training colleagues and monitoring compliance.
- Work closely with the SAN Secretariat to organize and support CoC training events for CBs worldwide;
- Ensure external publications and communications pertaining to CoC are current, accurate, and assessable;
- Provide support, general information and instructions to companies about CoC Certification and refer them to the appropriate CBs;
- Gather and provide the traceability information solicited by CBs prior to audits;
- Gather and provide the Use of Seal and SmartSource information from the Sustainable Value Chains team solicited by CBs prior to audits;
- Provide reports on CoC Certified companies and ensure that CoC Certified companies are visible on appropriate websites;
- Develop and maintain a system for providing information pertaining to the current status of CoC Certified companies;
- Collect feedback and provide summary reports about the CoC standard and certification to SAN Secretariat accordingly;
- Provide customer service to all inquiries regarding CoC certification;
- Support the Traceability Unit with reporting information and participate in strategic team planning; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or a related field; Master’s degree preferred;
- 5-7 years of experience, prior experience with customer service;
- Excellent English and Spanish oral and written communications skills; French and Portuguese a plus;
- Must have excellent computer and data management skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and database programs);
- Must have excellent organizational skills, be able to work independently, and work under tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communications skills; and
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally up to 25% of the time.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 665 Broadway, Suite 500, New York, NY 10012; Fax: 212-677-2187; If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.