Posted on October 7, 2012
Special Projects Manager
Dance/NYC - Special Projects Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Convening and Professional Development Interns, Volunteers
Status: Part-time, starting date negotiable, 2012
Full-time, beginning January 1, 2013
Dance/NYC's (www.dancenyc.org) mission is to bolter the support structure for dance in New York City - serving as the voice and guide for local artists and managers. The organization achieves this mission through three core program areas: public engagement/education, research, and convening/professional development. It seeks to add a key member to its current two-person staff who will be responsible for all aspects of implementing and growing Dance/NYC's convening and professional development portfolio in 2013 and 2014, and for helping to set long-term strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Event Management: Reporting to the Executive Director and working with the Operations Manager, execute all organizational responsibilities for regular events:
- Annual full-day symposium (scheduled for February 24, 2013)
- Regular Town Halls (3-5 Annually)
- Bessie Awards, produced in partnership with Dance/NYC
- Advisory Committee, Board, and Junior Committee meetings
- (Become liaison to Junior Committee by July 2013)
- Pilot event initiatives recommended by Dance/NYC?s Strategic Plan 2012-2014, evaluate efficacy, and create strategy for future projects.
- Self-guided affinity groups based on Junior Committee model
- Increased on-site partnership programming/roundtables
- Online technologies to extend reach and impact
- Special fundraising events (est. 1 annually)
- Additional opportunities as they arise
General Operations: coordinating with the Operations Manager, lead on all aspects of event administration, including:
- Schedules and workflow
- Database (Patron Technology)
- Vendor relations
- Speaker and participant engagement
- Intern and volunteer recruitment and management
- Facilities and set up
- Strategy: conduct research and development and create strategic filters for evaluating partnership opportunities, event topics, and speakers; create analytical frameworks for evaluating project success; help to set vision for events beyond 2014
- Fundraising: produce proposal and reporting material, and create and implement sponsorship and pro-bono and barter strategies for existing event portfolio; spearhead fundraising for longterm efforts
- Information Technology, Communications, and Marketing: coordinating with Operations Manager, manage all aspects event communications through DanceNYC.org, e-communications (weekly e-newsletter, special bulletins) and social media; seek out and lead all content, marketing, and distribution partnerships for events; coordinate the production of event marketing material (online and print), sponsorship material, and ad placements as appropriate; coordinate technological enhancements to support convening and professional development efforts.
The ideal candidate will have relevant prior event management, public speaking, and facilitation training and experience, and an interest in individual fundraising. S/he will be future focused, data driven, strategy minded, and thrive in startup environments. S/he will be methodical and detail oriented, with excellent planning and time management skills, and able to advance multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines. S/he will be current on and comfortably engage with emerging technologies, and demonstrate a commitment to technology solutions in the social enterprise space. S/he will be versed in arts and culture landscape and have a wide cross-sector network.
Compensation includes competitive benefits. Dance/NYC is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and references by e-mail to Lane Harwell at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 22.