Posted on August 1, 2012
Design and Production Assistant
Rainforest Alliance - Design and Production Assistant
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Design & Production Assistant will be responsible for the design and production of print materials, maintaining video and photo libraries, and providing general administrative support to the Communications division. S/he will report to the Senior Editorial Manager and work in close coordination with the Design & Production Associate.
- Work with outside designers on all aspects of publications and marketing materials design, including brainstorming concepts and choosing color palettes, fonts, common themes and photographs;
- Assist with design projects from concept to execution, ensuring timely delivery of final product and final distribution of each;
- Under the guidance of the Design & Production Associate, handle in-house design responsibilities as needed;
- Work in conjunction with outside printers to ensure timely and satisfactory completion of communications and marketing materials;
- Maintain orderly storage and organization of the Rainforest Alliance photo library, fulfilling requests for photos as needed;
- Keep up-to-date files on current projects, completed projects, communication products, artwork, translations in process, contacts/resources;
- Provide various art files to collaborators and vendors as needed;
- Provide technical assistance with art files to all staff and partners;
- Provide general support to the Communication team as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related design field required;
- 1–2 years experience in communications, design, or related field;
- Proficiency in Adobe design software including Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign;
- Knowledge of art file mechanicals a must;
- Keen eye for visual detail and a cultivated sense of aesthetic;
- Experience in photography and knowledge of stock photo libraries a plus;
- Excellent organizational and research skills and attention to detail;
- Dependability, diplomacy and ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Self-motivated and ability to juggle multiple projects;
- Enthusiasm for and strong interest in biodiversity conservation and sustainable development issues;
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Excellent written and verbal communication and copy editing skills;
- Video editing skills a plus; and
- Knowledge of Spanish a plus.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 665 Broadway, Suite 500, New York, New York 10012. Fax: 212-677-2187. Email at email@example.com