Posted on January 7, 2013
Associate Manager, Special Events
Los Angeles Philharmonic Association
Los Angeles Philharmonic Association - Associate Manager, Special Events
Founded in 1919, the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association's mission is to perform, present, and promote music in its varied forms at the highest level of excellence to a diverse and large audience, both at the Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl. The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is dedicated to continuing its pre-eminent status in the music world of the 21st century.
This position is the right-hand to the Senior Manager of Special Events in overseeing the production and implementation of the Development Department’s special events. The annual calendar is comprised of 30+ donor events (such as Board of Directors meetings, Artist’s Salons, Friends of the LA Phil rehearsals, etc) and two major fundraising events - Opening Night at the Hollywood Bowl and Winter Gala for the Walt Disney Concert Hall.
- Provide creative input for events and larger event planning strategies.
- Establish criteria for pulling mailing lists. Establish and oversee strategic mailing schedules.
- Coordinate co-chair and committee planning meetings; create materials for meetings and planning purposes and attend meetings with the Senior Manager.
- Oversee the design and coordinate the production of the stationery, save-the-dates and final invitation for all events.
- Support Special Events team in the overseeing of contracts, payment schedules and correspondence for outside consultants and vendors associated with events including but not limited to, the event designer/producer, print designers, city permitting/forms consultant.
- Work with the Corporate Sponsorship team to coordinate and fulfill sponsor agreements as they pertain to all events.
- Assist in the management of production meetings with staff, catering, décor providers, AV vendors and the Development team at large.
- Work with all Executive and Inter-departmental staff to assure proper Donor and VIP seating.
- Manage night-of vendor and Development staff timelines.
Other responsibilities, working closely with the Senior Manager:
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional, customer service manner to the Board, Board of Overseers and all level of donors to the LA Philharmonic.
- Work collaboratively and creatively to help expedite processes across departments in regards to scheduling, space requests, procuring biographical materials, processing payments and creating print materials.
- Work closely with and negotiate with external vendors to coordinate goods and services for special events. Manage relationships and bidding process to ensure the best service and most efficient cost for goods and services.
- Create effective planning documents and timelines for internal and external staff.
- Project-manage specific aspects of the fundraising events including, but not limited to: solicitation and RSVP calling, ticketing, creation of event programs and print materials.
- Assist in providing analytical reports (ROI, performance, debrief, etc.) and updates on special events as directed.
- Reviews processes and provide guidance as necessary to the Coordinator, Special Events.
- Assist with other donor and fundraising event activities as assigned by the Director, Individual Giving and Senior Manger, Special Events.
- Staff other non-related Development department events as necessary throughout the year.
- 5+ years of progressive event or project management experience in comparably complex and high-visibility professional environment(s), preferably within the non-profit arts sector.
- B.A. in the arts preferred or equivalent experience. Performing arts background preferred.
- Exceptional project management skills and ability to multi-task within strict timelines and budgetary constraints. Able to think critically and strategically to anticipate challenges and trouble-shoot.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills. Experience working with or handling the special needs and expectations of Principal level donors and Celebrity VIP’s. Ability to interact effectively and appropriately with these individuals as well vendors, caterers and suppliers.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills with assigned staff and volunteer workers and ability to adhere to work within the policies and guidelines of the Association.
- Experience in print design, copy-editing, budgeting, and fundraising are strongly desired.
- Ability to create and prepare correspondence in Word and financial reports in Excel.
- Facility with fundraising databases, such as The Raiser’s Edge, Tessitura, and other CRM/ticketing databases.
- Excellent proofreading skills.
How to apply:
To apply, you must write “Associate Manager, Special Events - PND” in the subject line of your email or written prominently on your faxed or mailed submission. Please send resume, cover letter AND SALARY HISTORY to:
Los Angeles Philharmonic Association
Attn: Human Resources
151 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
No phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.