Posted on January 15, 2013
Program Assistant, Advocacy and Policy Program
International Women's Health Coalition
International Women's Health Coalition - Program Assistant, Advocacy and Policy Program
Provide critical administrative and programmatic assistance to the Advocacy and Policy Program, as part of a team of two Program Assistants.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Advocacy and Policy Program Support
- Assist with the preparation of strategies, annual budgets and workplans for the Advocacy and Policy Program.
- Assist in the grant-making process, including by helping to draft, edit and process grant justification memos, drafting and processing grant award letters and ensuring that grant documentation, including proposals and supporting documentation, is in order.
- Assist in tracking grant-making activity and conduct administrative follow-up, including management of data entry, routine correspondence with grantees, and monitoring and reviewing grantee reporting.
- Assist in preparing and tracking grant payments, transferring funds, and monitoring expenditures; ensure that the Business Office has necessary information on grantees and that grant payments are made and received in a timely manner; help troubleshoot payments as needed.
- Monitor and collect technical publications on IWHC’s key issues. Review and analyze briefs, policy documents, and other publications through the lens of sexual and reproductive rights and health of women and young people. Monitor appropriate listservs.
- Conduct research for and assist with drafting IWHC publications, articles, speeches, factsheets, reports, and media work.
- Track and disseminate opportunities for IWHC submissions to journals or participation in conferences and events.
- Work with Communications Program to ensure the programmatic sections of the website are up-to-date and that new materials and reports are posted.
- Handle routine telephone and email communications, including with colleagues overseas.
- Arrange travel and accommodations for staff and for relevant colleagues, including assistance in obtaining visas, outlining itineraries, sending advance materials, etc.
- Assist in maintaining the calendars of program staff and scheduling appointments and calls.
- Manage expense reports and payment requests and help to monitor program spending.
- Manage and maintain relevant portions of IWHC grantmaking database and accurate and organized file systems.
- General office administrative tasks, including, but not limited to, responding to incoming calls and requests from the general public, faxing, photocopying, filing, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Passion for IWHC’s mission and a strong commitment to sexual and reproductive rights and health, human rights, and gender equality.
- B.A. and one to two years administrative experience required; budgeting and grants administration experience desirable.
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational and analytical skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English required; Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese highly preferred.
- Excellent computer and administrative skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and internet research. Experience with MicroEdge GIFTS a plus.
- Excellent listening and communications skills, with sensitivity to cultural communication differences and the ability to communicate directly and effectively with others.
- Detail-orientated with the ability to meet deadlines, manage competing priorities, and work cooperatively, effectively and accurately under pressure.
- A high level of self-motivation and ease at taking initiative and working independently.
- Ability to show discretion and handle confidential issues.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and team spirit.
- Pleasant, mature and diplomatic manner and disposition.
- Willingness to work long hours, including occasional weekends, as needed.
COMPENSATION: Highly competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous vacation time, and no contribution for employee-only medical and dental coverage, among others.
DESIRED START DATE: As soon as possible. Application Instructions
Send cover letter (including ref. #APP0113FC and salary requirements) and resume to: Liisa Sweet-Korpivaara @ fax 212-979-9009, or via email (in MS Word) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We cannot respond to all inquiries—only candidates for consideration will be contacted. Regrettably we will not accept phone calls.
IWHC is an equal opportunity employer. IWHC strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual's race, ethnicity, religion, age, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, HIV status or disability. This policy applies to all IWHC activities including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge. We are committed to seeking qualified candidates who contribute to the diversity of the working environment.