Posted on August 8, 2012
Executive Vice President
First Place for Youth
First Place for Youth - Executive Vice President
Founded in 1998, First Place for Youth was the first program in Northern California dedicated to providing critical support to transition-age foster youth and has grown to become the state’s largest provider of housing for this highly vulnerable population. The organization provides youth with access to safe, affordable housing, intensive case management, individualized education and employment support, job development and a rigorous school-to-career program. Our programs consistently produce high outcomes: when compared to the general population of former foster youth, First Place participants are eight times less likely to experience homelessness, twice as likely to graduate from high school and nine times more likely to enroll in college, three times as likely to be employed and three times less likely to give birth before age 21.
First Place’s program model has attracted the attention of national foundations and federal government agencies who believe that the program model is worthy of replication. First Place is now in a unique position to leverage our reputation as a high-quality service provider to advocate for legislative change on behalf of all foster youth.
Please visit http://www.firstplaceforyouth.org/ for more information.
First Place for Youth is seeking a seasoned, strategically oriented leader with experience in leading an executive management team, and developing a high performance culture among a group of diverse and talented individuals.. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Executive Vice President provides strong leadership, management and strategic direction to the internal operations of the organization. This is a newly created position at First Place for Youth, as we have recently concluded our fourth year of a five year strategic plan and are entering a new planning phase we are poised for growth and are seeking this right-hand leader to the CEO to support the internal operations of the organization. This person will have functional knowledge of, or have been directly responsible for, organizational programs, finance, human resources, and general administration, and be able to utilize that breadth of knowledge and understanding to solidify the internal operations of FPFY and support future growth.
This position will work from the First Place for Youth office in Oakland, CA and report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. S/he will oversee the Vice President of Programs, Vice President of Finance and Administration, and Regional Executive Directors.
- Be the internal leader of the organization; ensure the internal operations of the organization are operating at maximum efficiency to achieve desired outcomes and goals
- Work in partnership with the CEO to create the organizations strategic direction while ensuring the necessary organization operations are in alignment with strategy
- Lead and manage the organization’s senior management team
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence and support an open-door policy among all staff
- Strategize and execute the programmatic and financial success of First Place for Youth
- Lead and execute the internal culture of the “Relentless Pursuit of Excellence” that supports First Place for Youth success
- Utilize data to support and inform organization-wide decisions and planning
- Partner across the executive team to implement processes, infrastructure and effective management practices to enable and sustain expansion
- Effectively manage relationships with the Board of Directors
- Maintain and enhance the image, brand, and ideals of First Place for Youth
- At least 10 years of demonstrated success as a strategic operational leader in the nonprofit, government, or private sector
- Proven experience in a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team.
- Strong experience managing a senior team; functional experience or knowledge of finance, administration, program management, data-driven evaluation, and strategic planning strongly preferred
- Demonstrated success supporting and working alongside the organizational leader and board to develop and achieve organizational objectives
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of First Place for Youth as well as experience working in an organization that serves young people or at-risk populations preferred
- Entrepreneurial self-starter and creative thinker with experience producing results in a deadline-driven, fast-paced, data-driven, and dynamic environment
- Willingness to travel as needed
- Master’s degree required ideally in business or a similar field
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Sam Cobbs at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1928. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
First Place for Youth offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills, and is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, culture, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
About Commongood Careers:
FPFY has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for an Executive Vice President. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of the nation’s most innovative and high-performing nonprofit organizations. Since its founding in 2006, Commongood Careers has completed over 500 searches at 150 organizations in 26 states. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.