Posted on October 25, 2012
Development Officer, Foreign Policy
Brookings Institution - Development Officer, Foreign Policy
The Brookings Institution is a private nonprofit organization devoted to independent research and innovative policy solutions. Established in 1916, Brookings analyzes current and emerging issues and produces new ideas that matter - for the nation and the world.
Brookings seeks to fill the position of Development Officer, Foreign Policy.
Basic Function: Develop and implement strategies to raise funds and manage donor relations for Foreign Policy (FP) at The Brookings Institution (Brookings). In coordination with the FP Director of Development, FP scholars, and Central Development (DEV) at Brookings, develop and implement fundraising strategies; provide stewardship; and assist with event management for program donors.
Special Education/Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in international relations, foreign policy, political science, or a related field required. Minimum 6 years of relevant fundraising and stewardship experience with one or more of the following prospect pools: individuals, foundations, governments, and corporations required. Familiarity with or knowledge of foreign policy issues required. Must be currently authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
Special Knowledge/Skills Requirements:
Superior writing skills required, including proven ability to conceive and write complex grant proposals with excellent MS Word and Excel skills. Familiarity with or knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred. Must possess ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, and work well with others in a fast-paced environment. Sense of initiative, discretion, mature judgment, and entrepreneurial spirit required. Some travel may be required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
80% Fundraising and Donor Relations
- Work in coordination with the FP Director of Development to create and implement sound strategies to identify, cultivate, and steward donors at all levels.
- Identify and research new donors for project support; assess the potential and capacity of existing and prospective donors.
- Identify and arrange meetings between Brookings representatives and prospects; prepare background briefings and talking points for Brookings participants in these meetings; participate in meetings; plan and implement appropriate follow-up.
- Steward donors as appropriate; conduct follow-up work on all solicitation efforts; manage correspondence and contact with donors; move donors through the cultivation and solicitation process, including special events, mailings, and other activities as appropriate.
- Assess donor relations activities and needs; develop appropriate plans to meet needs; develop new strategies for stewarding donors, including benefits packages, volunteer opportunities, scholar meetings, and private events.
- Plan and implement events and other outreach opportunities for prospects and donors; follow-up with participants.
- Draft and assemble funding proposals in collaboration with relevant staff; manage review and approval of proposals.
- Track and coordinate fundraising efforts and contacts undertaken by scholars.
- Maintain complete files on funders, including correspondence and proposals.
20% Coordination of Fundraising Efforts within FP and with DEV
In coordination with team members, maintain donor information in Raiser's Edge database to track correspondence, meeting notes, proposals, and background information.Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered. Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment in this position. No phone calls please. Brookings welcomes resumes from all qualified applicants, particularly women and minorities.
- Coordinate, collaborate, and communicate on all fundraising efforts with Development Director and team colleagues; contribute to culture of open communication with free flow of information.
- Participate in weekly team meetings, one-on-one meetings with Director as needed, and regular DEV meetings.
- Meet regularly with senior FP staff to discuss and develop individual stewardship strategies to build and deepen engagement.
- Ensure that all stewardship activities are implemented and integrated into overall fundraising strategy; work closely with team to prioritize and implement efforts to build Brookings FP presence and donor pool in major metropolitan areas.
Please apply to: http://bit.ly/TVn50y6