Posted on November 17, 2012
American Jewish Committee
Development Director, AJC (American Jewish Committee)
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. In addition to its New York headquarters and Office of Government & International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has regional offices and affiliates across the U.S. and overseas in addition to a multitude of global partnerships.
Among Jewish organizations, AJC is the preeminent leader in the global arena. With a presence in Belgium, France, Germany, India, Israel, Italy, Brazil and Switzerland, AJC’s network of relationships with, and access to, key decision makers and thought leaders on every continent is unmatched. AJC is recognized by foreign leaders, the Israeli and U.S. governments as an effective and trusted interlocutor for Jewish issues, human rights and advocacy for democratic values. Today, AJC proactively tackles the greatest concerns of Jewish communities around the globe.
The Miami and Broward Office of AJC is the region’s premier global Jewish advocacy organization dedicated to securing the freedom and safety of Jews and other vulnerable peoples in the United States, Israel and around the world. To advance this purpose, AJC’s Miami and Broward Office promotes a dynamic program focused on diplomatic outreach and innovative advocacy.
AJC’s Miami Office is a fast-paced, highly effective organization that demands creativity, commitment and the ability to build bridges of understanding between the Jewish community and many different religions, cultures and nationalities.
The Director of Development will play a key part in advancing AJC’s mission and will need to be a resourceful leader, who will play a pivotal role in our organization.
The ideal candidate will be a smart, high-energy self-starter who combines organizational acumen and professionalism with a love of Jewish heritage, familiarity with Jewish culture, knowledge of the Miami Jewish community, and experience in and dedication to promoting pluralistic values. The candidate must also be a consummate team player who works effectively with various constituencies.
The Director of Development in Miami will be responsible for building an annual campaign in the Miami region. To achieve higher goals, he/she will be responsible for creating, implementing and directing a successful campaign with particular emphasis on personal solicitations, major gifts, community and special events (including corporate dinners), planned giving, foundation grants, endowment support, new leadership development and campaign public relations.
While reporting to the AJC Miami Regional Director, the Development Director will also join the AJC National Development Department and enjoy the substantial support of a major global fundraising organization.
- Planning, organizing and managing the annual campaign;
- Developing strategies to encourage new gifts, as well as increasing current donor contributions;
- Expanding donor identification, tracking, cultivating, solicitation and stewardship of donors to ensure understanding, interest and involvement with AJC;
- Maintain and enhance the relationship between current donors and AJC, seeking to increase their commitment and giving;
- Coordinating corporate and professional dinners, special events and functions, community receptions, regional outreach and mail appeals;
- Preparing annual fundraising goals and budgets;
- Overseeing prospect and donor records, budget and fiscal controls and the transmittal of funds;
- Work closely with AJC Miami Director and board/volunteer leadership to provide guidance, organization and support in their development activities;
- Collaborate with program staff to actively develop and grow young leadership base. Train, motivate and mentor new leaders to maximize their potential in development activities including identification of prospects and solicitation.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of, and a strong commitment to, Jewish issues and the objectives of AJC. The best candidate will be an experienced development professional with planning and management skills and proven track record of fund raising success with significant experience in corporate and special events, donor cultivation, major gift solicitation and stewardship.
Specifically, the candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Goal-oriented campaign strategist who can create and execute a multi-faceted vision and plan for increased financial resource development results;
- Self-starter who can work independently and collaborate with professional colleagues and volunteer leadership;
- Dedicated to the highest ethical standards and to conducting business with the highest level of integrity;
- Committed to and enthusiastic about the mission, goals and programs of AJC and familiar with issues in which the organization is concerned;
- Flexible, well organized, creative and strategic thinker able to develop new ways to engage potential and existing donors, create new giving opportunities and programs;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Poised under pressure; able to think strategically, have excellent judgment and enjoy working on multiple projects in a changing environment;
- Experienced in developing board members and increasing their level of participation in the fundraising process;
- The ability to effectively articulate core AJC issues and initiatives is highly desirable;.
- Familiarity with the Miami area and demographics is a plus; Prior experience working with fundraising database software; prior experience working with Raisers Edge would be especially helpful.
Please submit your application on https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/development-director-miami/
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer