Posted on November 7, 2012
Home Energy Conservation AmeriCorps Corpsmember
Mile High Youth Corps
Mile High Youth Corps - Home Energy Conservation
** Energy Conservation Program applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a GED or high school diploma to be eligible for employment**
Summary: Home Energy Conservation Corpsmembers participate in an intensive, 22-week program that focuses on building technical skills and career readiness in a green job industry. Corpsmembers are responsible for the installation of energy/water saving measures in low-income homes while educating residents about environmental and financial benefits of using less energy. They actively participate in weekly environmental education and team building activities, work on service projects, and work towards future career and college goals with career readiness training.
- Successfully complete new Corpsmember orientation and training.
- Work with a small team to perform the installation of energy and water saving measures, including but not limited to aerators, compact florescent light bulbs and water efficient showerheads in low-income households in the Metro Denver area.
- Support MHYC client intake department; calling potential clients and completing data entry.
- Interact with low-income clients to offer information on energy and water conservation techniques during technical installs or through neighborhood canvassing.
- Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality work, installations, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
- Fully participate in environmental education, leadership development, civic engagement, healthy lifestyles, career development, independent living and service learning activities.
- Receive hands-on technical trainings related to all projects. Learn to problem solve diverse technical challenges in the work space.
- Fully participate in all safety trainings and adhere to agency safety rules and regulations.
- Fully participate in career readiness training activities.
- Adhere to the rules and regulations specified in the MHYC Employee and Corpsmember Handbooks.
- Report to a Mile High Youth Corps Crew Leader.
- May be required to participate in Global Youth Service Day on Saturday April 27th, 2013.
- May be required to participate in additional training opportunities or complete a rotation on the MHYC Water Conservation Crew installing high-efficiency toilets.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 18-24 years old.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluently in English and Spanish highly preferred.
- High school or GED graduate.
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must make a strong commitment to term of service by being available for a minimum of 675 hours of service, 36 hours a week
- Preference given to local applicants living in the 15 county region of Colorado served by MHYC.
- Able to be on time and maintain a minimum of 90% attendance rate through term of service.
- Able to work and learn with a positive attitude and show respect for others.
- Desire for personal challenge and self development.
- Ability to engage with people from different backgrounds and demographics.
- Experience or a desire to work with a diverse group of young adults ages 18-24.
- Experience or a strong desire to learn the technical skills needed to effectively conserve energy and water.
- Must have a valid driver's license with insurable driving record.
- Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other employment forms on your first day of employment. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver's license and social security card/birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
- Pre-employment background check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting.
- Pre-employment drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during employment.
- Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
Hours & Compensation:
- This is a temporary, non-exempt position, January 28th, 2013-June 28th, 2013
- Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Corpsmembers may be required to work occasional Friday afternoons from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Schedule may vary depending on projects.
- Corpsmembers earn a stipend of $256.00 - $264.00 per week. May be eligible for mid-program raise of up to $16/week based on performance.
- Benefits are not provided.
AmeriCorps Education Award:
A Corpsmember is eligible for a $2,114.00 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of 675 hours of service.
Online: www.milehighyouthcorps.org (click "apply now")
In person/mail: Attn. Duncan Forbes, 6740 E. Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80220
* If you have questions about the position, please email email@example.com or call 720-407-7281 x325