Posted on July 13, 2012
American Jewish Committee
American Jewish Committee - Legislative Assistant
Founded in 1906, AJC seeks to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and Israel and to advance human rights and democratic values in the United States and around the world. In addition to its New York headquarters and Office of Government & International Affairs in Washington, D.C., AJC has regional offices and affiliates across the U.S. and overseas in addition to a multitude of global partnerships.
Among Jewish organizations, AJC is the preeminent leader in the global arena. With a presence in Belgium, France, Germany, India, Israel, Italy and Switzerland, AJC’s network of relationships with, and access to, the key decision makers and thought leaders on every continent is unmatched. AJC is recognized by foreign leaders, the Israeli and U.S. governments as an effective and trusted interlocutor for Jewish issues, human rights and advocacy for democratic values. Today, AJC proactively tackles the greatest concerns of Jewish communities around the globe.
AJC seeks a self-starting Legislative Assistant to work in its Department of National and Legislative Affairs. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of National and Legislative Affairs.
The Legislative Assistant will work to advance organizational priorities on a broad array of international and domestic legislative issues including policies that affect Israel and US-Israel relations, US policy on Iran and the Middle East in general, international human rights, US energy security, and religious freedom, by coordinating and participating in direct and indirect advocacy with elected officials. A significant part of the Legislative Assistant’s responsibilities will also include administrative support for the work of the Department, including attention to and maintenance of departmental files and correspondence, and the advocacy website; and coordination and liaising with the field in connection with advocacy activities.
The Legislative Assistant must be able to work independently on multiple tasks including, but not limited to:
- Arranging meetings for lay and staff leaders with Members of Congress, legislative aides, and others on Capitol Hill;
- Tracking legislation and becoming knowledgeable on a variety of legislative priorities;
- Developing and communicating AJC policy positions and accomplishments internally to staff, other departments and AJC lay leadership;
- Preparing reports on agency lobbying activities for filing with government offices;
- General administrative support for the Department of National and Legislative Affairs;
- Drafting, preparation and transmittal of correspondence;
- Organization of legislative affairs files and mailing lists;
- Maintenance of advocacy website.
Other responsibilities include:
- In selected areas, participating in policy formation and drafting correspondence on policy priorities;
- Representing AJC at coalition meetings and lobbying visits;
- Developing background information and briefings for staff and lay leadership;
- Overseeing development of advocacy content for the organization’s website;
- As necessary, coordinating and organizing events and programs;
- Assisting Director of National and Legislative Affairs and Assistant Legislative Director in a variety of management tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Background in direct advocacy and the legislative process, preferably on Capitol Hill;
- Interest in, and basic familiarity with, the priorities of AJC;
- Ability to multi-task, work independently under pressure, and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well as part of a team;
- Excellent written and oral communications capabilities;
- Excellent organizational skills including accuracy, attention to detail and reliability;
- Experience in meeting coordination, event planning is a plus
- Familiarity with the Jewish community is a plus;
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office, HTML a plus.
Please submit your application on https://ajchr.wufoo.com/forms/legislative-assistant-wash-dc/
AJC is an Equal Opportunity Employer