Posted on January 27, 2012
East Harlem Tutorial Program
East Harlem Tutorial Program - Campaign Director
About East Harlem Tutorial Program
Founded in 1958, East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) is a community-based organization that prepares K-12 students with the academic skills, strength of character and emotional well-being to excel in high school and college, to lead in their communities, and to realize their best possible selves. EHTP’s strategy is to help young people succeed through a comprehensive approach to youth development, focusing on increased parent involvement, academic support and social skills development.
Since our founding over fifty years ago, we have served more than 15,000 young people and families. Our 33 staff members work at program headquarters, currently located at 2050 Second Avenue (between 105th St. and 106th St.). EHTP’s annual operating budget of approximately $3 million provides a variety of academic enrichment opportunities including classroom instruction, after-school one-on-one tutoring services, college readiness assistance, SAT and Regents test preparation, and summer programs. In August of 2011, EHTP opened East Harlem Scholars Academy ( “Scholars Academy”), our new K-8 public charter school. Building on our successes and experience in the community, Scholars Academy provides a rigorous and responsive educational model for 300 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade during its initial five-year charter term. The school provides year-round, extended day (7:30 am – 5:30pm) programming, small classes with two teachers, and a host of educational interventions and services aimed at ensuring academic achievement for all students in the community, including students for whom English is not their native language.
We are seeking a Campaign Director to lead, plan, and oversee the day-to-day coordination and management of a $30-35 million Capital Campaign to build a 65,000 sq. ft. headquarters, which will serve as an anchor of educational opportunity at the corner of 105th Street and Second Avenue.
The position is both strategic and tactical, incorporating all components of a capital campaign from the quiet phase through the launch and implementation of the public phase. The role entails working collaboratively with members of EHTP staff, Board members, volunteers and community members to create and implement a comprehensive campaign plan. This full-time position is offered for a two-three year period for the duration of the Campaign.
Responsibilities of the Campaign Director will include, but are not limited to:
Campaign Management and Implementation
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Communications to create strategies to identify, research, cultivate, and solicit major gift campaign prospective donors
- Organize the pipeline of campaign prospective donors and maintain the overall campaign timetable
- Create a realistic campaign expense budget and maintain campaign expenditure records
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Communications to determine gift naming and recognition opportunities and stewardship activities, including reports, gift acknowledgements and donor updates
- Prepare ongoing updates and numerical analyses of campaign progress for staff leadership, Board members, committees and other volunteers
Leadership and Volunteer Management
- Plan the solicitation of major donors and work with members of the Campaign Steering Committee on cultivation strategies, preparation for donor visits, and all necessary follow-up
- Serve as lead staff for the Campaign Steering Committee and support the Committee chair(s) in setting committee direction, agendas, meeting materials, and follow-up
- Collaborate with the Director of Development and Communications and members of the Campaign Steering Committee to design and execute special events and other activities for donor cultivation
- Guide and train the staff and volunteer solicitors to carry out well-developed solicitation strategies.
- Develop volunteer training materials for all phases of the campaign
- Serve as the campaign liaison for volunteer committees and assist campaign leadership in recruitment and training of new committee members
- Prepare campaign-related meeting agendas, letters to current and prospective donors, individualized proposals, briefing memos, remarks for EHTP leadership for various cultivation events, and other preparatory or follow-up materials to support staff, Board members and other key volunteers
- Design a strong, cohesive campaign communications plan in conjunction with the Director of Development and Communications
- Oversee creation of campaign print and web-based communication tools
- Refine and update the campaign Case Statement as needed
Skills and Experiences:
- A passion for empowering and supporting young people in economically disadvantaged communities through meaningful educational opportunities
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills and a proven record of creating and fostering excellent relationships between donors and an institution
- A high level of integrity and a strong work ethic
- The ability to motivate and work effectively with prominent volunteers and Board members, as well as superior writing and verbal communication skills
- The ability to serve as a strategic campaign thinker, capable of providing positive and proactive solutions to campaign related challenges and opportunities
- An open and collaborative management style, characteristic of a team player
- Creativity, analytical skills, project development and campaign management skills
Education Background and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university, master’s degree a plus
- Minimum of five years of development experience in major gifts, capital campaigns, or both
- Knowledge and experience in setting up effective campaign organization structures including communications
- Familiarity with New York City philanthropy and experience with community-based organizations in New York City is strongly preferred
Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, EHTP offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please e-mail your resume and written statement to firstname.lastname@example.org and note ‘Campaign Director’ in the e-mail subject line.
Please note your application will only be complete after submitting both a resume and a written statement linking your passions and experience to this opportunity and EHTP’s mission. Your statement should be succinct, professional, and clearly demonstrate your ability to excite others about EHTP's mission.