Posted on July 18, 2012
Vice President of Education and Career Development
SoBRO - Vice President of Education and Career Development
Mission of Organization
Our mission is to enhance the quality of life in the South Bronx by strengthening businesses and creating innovative economic, housing, educational and career development programs for youth and adults.
SoBRO’s programs include spurring economic development, building affordable housing, Youth & adult education, workforce development, helping at-risk youth to succeed, and producing other positive outcomes for South Bronx residents and employers.
Please visit www.sobro.org to learn more.
Overview of the Position
The SoBRO Education and Career Development (ECD) Center offers cutting-edge adult and youth programs, which focus on education, literacy, career exploration, and leadership development. In addition, ECD offers extensive work readiness training and job placement services for adults. The Center’s mission is to engage youth and adults in quality educational, leadership, career exploration and employment programs that meet the demands of today’s skilled-based workforce in order for families to achieve economic independence.
The Vice President of Education and Career Development provides leadership for workforce development, adult literacy and youth development program areas by establishing a creative and collaborative environment in which adults and youth are served, resources managed, positive learning promoted and outcome-oriented programs developed to meet workforce training, literacy, and leisure learning needs of the individuals.
The position reports directly to the President.
Position Description & Responsibilities
Providing leadership for all aspects of workforce development, adult literacy, and youth development program areas.
- Ensuring accountability for outcome-oriented, sustained growth.
- Aligning task and resource management with organizational and program-related mission, vision, philosophies and values, goals and strategic imperatives.
- Developing an overall leadership structure firmly grounded in a team-based mentality and approach.
- Developing performance measurement tools and tracking effectiveness of all programs.
- Benchmarking key performance indicators and major processes in order to move towards best practices and assure consistency of these indicators across all programs. Insuring that all programs meet the standards of the appropriate funding agencies.
- Identifying and pursuing funding sources for programs, including grants and partnerships in conjunction with the Development Department.
- Seeking and developing partnerships with public, private, and educational institutions to support and enhance the Division’s programs and services.
- Promoting programs through presentations and ongoing contact with elected officials, community boards, civic organizations, economic development entities, and community-based organizations.
- Reviewing and approving all budgets for the Division under supervision. Collaborating with Fiscal staff to develop and submit budget recommendations that ensures is a self-sustaining Division. Overseeing individual program-related budgets to ensure funds are managed and expended appropriately.
- Overseeing the recruitment of personnel, coordinating staff development efforts to aid the professional growth of personnel.
- Participating in the development of administrative procedures and practices to implement policies.
- Executing other duties or tasks as assigned by the President.
- Coordinating with the economic and community development divisions linking job creation to employment.
- Additional duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Other Requirements
MBA, MPA preferred; Master’s degree in related field required; proven experience of successful administrative leadership.
Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of youth development, adult literacy, and workforce development programs.
Excellent administrative, budgetary, communication and interpersonal skills.
Strong commitment to collegial work environment. Ability to function as a collaborative member of an executive management team.
Excellent writing, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Demonstrated understanding and use of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, communication and organizational skills.
Location: Office is accessible - just one quarter block from the #2 and #5 subway trains in the heart of the South Bronx’s commercial district.
Salary: $80,000 – 95,000; commensurate with experience
SoBRO provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
TTY/TDD: 1-800 662-1220
Voice Relay: 1-800elay: 1-800-421-1220
Interested parties should send their resume to Van-Nessa Brown, South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation (SOBRO) 555 Bergen Avenue, Bronx, N.Y. 10455, firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax # (718) 292-3115. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!!