Posted on August 18, 2012
Special Events Manager
City Harvest - Special Events Manager
Now serving New York City for 30 years, City Harvest is the world's first food rescue organization, dedicated to feeding the city's hungry men, women, and children.
This year, City Harvest will collect 42 million pounds of excess food from all segments of the food industry, including restaurants, grocers, corporate cafeterias, manufacturers, and farms. This food is then delivered free of charge to some 600 community food programs throughout New York City by a fleet of trucks and bikes. City Harvest helps feed the more than one million New Yorkers that face hunger each year.
While meeting the immediate need for food in the five boroughs, City Harvest ensures hungry New Yorkers have the food they need on an ongoing basis, identifying communities with high rates of poverty and diet-related diseases for additional support. Healthy Neighborhoods targets supplemental deliveries of free fresh produce to these areas in combination with a unique mix of nutrition education and other programs to increase supply and demand for affordable, nutritious food. In partnership with local residents and organizations, City Harvest is working towards the vision of healthy, food secure neighborhoods.
City Harvest is seeking an energetic and detail-oriented Special Events Manager to oversee various aspects of six large fundraising events throughout the year, as well as handle event logistics for smaller restaurant and culinary-focused events. Reporting to the Director of Special Events, the Special Events Manager will manage the logistics for several major events. In addition, the Special Events Manager will work on a number of initiatives in coordination with City Harvest’s Food Council and other local chefs and restaurants.
- Manage the logistics and day to day details of The Brooklyn Local and the recruitment and logistics for chef participation at Bid Against Hunger. Logistics to include: maintaining database of participants and details including menu and equipment needs, managing communication with most or all participants, compiling information for rental orders, disposables, etc., and communicating participant needs within department and to appropriate outside vendors.
- Assist with design process and organization of event materials (to include invitation, signage, program, auction insert, etc.).
- Schedule and attend planning meetings and site visits, working with event production company and caterer on event logistics and on-site event management with various events.
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Special Events to research and create activities and ideas for various events.
- Coordinate logistics for smaller-scale events throughout the year including benefit dinners for high-level donors and other cultivation events, as needed.
- Manage the live and silent auctions for fundraising events, including assisting the Director with lot packaging, acting as main point of contact with auction writer, manage solicitation process with the assistance from outside event companies, etc.
- Manage the recruitment and on-site handling of celebrity chefs for City Harvest cooking demonstrations for Nutrition Education programs.
- BA College degree and 3-5 years of relevant experience; prior experience in event or hospitality industry a plus
- Superb oral and written communication, initiative & follow-up skills essential
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; strong knowledge of Excel
- Must have excellent organization skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize multiple projects, often against tight deadlines
- Excellent judgment and professionalism; must be comfortable maintaining relationships with outside vendors and chef and restaurant participants
- Ability to work well under pressure and address issues that arise on-site with ease
- Strong ability to work proactively and take initiative, both individually as well as a part of the Special Events team
- Interest in the New York City restaurant and food industry a plus
At City Harvest, we enjoy working in a team-based environment and value the benefits of a diversified workplace. City Harvest is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, family responsibilities, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, religion, veteran status or other unlawful factors with respect to employment. City Harvest is committed to the maintenance of a drug-free workplace and ensuring compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988.
To apply, please submit your Resume/CV and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org and make certain to include Special Events Manager in the subject line. City Harvest conducts background checks and computer testing for final candidates for this role.