Posted on September 22, 2012
Capital Area Asset Builders
Capital Area Asset Builders - Development Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Compensation: starting annual salary is $55,000 to $65,000; generous benefits package including employer-funded employee dental and health insurance coverage, and a retirement plan with employer match.
Summary: The Development Director has primary responsibility for maximizing the generation of grants and contributions to support CAAB’s operations through the development and execution of a comprehensive fundraising plan for the organization.
Other duties as may be assigned within the scope of work of this position.
- Working with the Executive Director (ED) and Board Fundraising Committee, leads and manages the development and execution of a fundraising plan to support an annual budget of $1 million.
- Trains and leads other staff and Board members to support fundraising and marketing efforts.
- Cultivates relationships with foundations, individual donors, and prospective donors through visits, correspondence, and special events, involving the ED as appropriate.
- Drafts and submits to foundations and corporations proposals, letters of inquiry, and grant reports, collaborating with the ED and program staff as appropriate.
- Develops and grows CAAB’s individual donor base; manages the production of annual appeal letters and other individual donor solicitations.
- Manages CAAB’s online fundraising and informational profiles (Guidestar, Catalogue for Philanthropy, Goodshop/Goodsearch, Idealist, etc.)
- Manages the planning and execution of fundraising events.
- Prepares and mails thank you letters to all donors, coordinating signatures with ED, staff, and Board as appropriate.
- Selects and maintains a cost-effective system(s) for managing donor contacts and tracking fundraising deadlines, activities, and outcomes.
- Works with office administrator to ensure maintenance of an organized grant filing system (electronic and/or paper files).
- Works with the communications staff to ensure development of a comprehensive marketing and public relations strategy.
- Works with CAAB’s accountant to ensure accurate accounting of all income sources (restricted and unrestricted.)
- Communicates with Finance Committee on issues relevant to budget performance on the revenue side.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of relevant experience.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets.
- Well-rounded fundraising experience, including securing corporate sponsorships.
- Strong communication skills; able to write clearly and persuasively and engage individuals and larger audiences through presentations.
- Able to multi-task efficiently, prioritize tasks on an ongoing basis, and work effectively under tight timelines.
- Proven partnership-building and event-planning skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Experience with reporting features of QuickBooks; able to prepare and understand a variety of financial reports.
- Familiarity with DC nonprofit organizations and the local funding community is also strongly desired.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive credential is preferred
HOW TO APPLY
Send a letter of interest, resume, writing sample (no more than three pages long and relevant to the scope of work for this position), and contact information for at least three professional references to the attention of Rich Petersen, CAAB’s Executive Director, at the address below. Applications should be submitted by postal mail or e-mail (preferred) to email@example.com Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.