Posted on November 5, 2012
Firelight Foundation - Grant Writer
1. POSITION IDENTIFICATION
Job Title: Grant Writer
Reports to: Director of Programs
The Firelight Foundation (http://www.firelightfoundation.org) is a public charity based in Santa Cruz, California, USA. The mission of the Firelight Foundation is to improve the wellbeing of children made vulnerable by HIV, AIDS, and poverty in sub-Saharan Africa. Firelight provides grants of US$1,000 - 15,000 to community-focused organizations that support families and communities to meet the material, educational, and psychosocial needs of children. We strive to make grants that support local initiatives and leadership, strengthen the community’s capacity to address its own needs, and are sensitive to the capacity of smaller groups to absorb and utilize funds. To date, Firelight has made over 1,400 grants totaling over $18 million to organizations serving children in sub-Saharan Africa.
3. OVERALL FUNCTION
Firelight seeks an individual with a grounded understanding of grassroots organizations working to improve the well-being of vulnerable children. A combination of intellectual curiosity, creativity, as well as a combination of project management, relationship management, strong writing skills, and attention to detail is needed. The Grant Writer contributes to Firelight’s goal of securing $4-5 million each year from foundation, corporate, and government sources by networking to develop new funding relationships, researching potential funders, writing concept notes, letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports to institutional funders.
4. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Prospect Research, Proposal and Report Writing
- Manage full range of activities required to prepare, write, and submit grant proposals to private family and corporate foundations, including, but not limited to:
- Write and edit letters of intent, concept notes, proposals and supporting documents.
- Write, edit, and submit reports and presentations on existing grants.
- Work with program team staff to ensure accuracy of information.
- Manage calendar and updates on report and proposal writing.
- Collaborate with the Finance Manager to prepare financial reports for donors.
- Produce, organize, and update proposal/report writing resources including materials to support donor relationships and education, such as thematic and regional modules, statistical summaries, Power Points, etc.
- Manage storage of information and documents related to each donor.
- Work with Grants Manager to ensure that grants funds are allocated according to donor specifications.
Internal and External Relations
Assume responsibility for both internal and external information needs as related to Firelight’s institutional donor fundraising, including:
- Respond to information needs and requests of Directors of Programs, Development, and Communications Officer, as well as Executive Director and Board Chair.
- Maintain and develop relationships with peer foundations and other key constituencies as necessary to support the goals of the Foundation.
- Represent the Foundation at conferences and meetings.
Special Projects as Assigned
- Support internal organizational writing needs, including, but not limited to
- editing proposals and reports from other team members;
- supporting the Annual Giving campaign with their writing needs;
- writing grant summaries for the docket; and
- writing for the Firelight blog, as needed.
- Support parts of grant implementation.
- Participate in cross-functional work-teams as appropriate.
- BA/BS, preferably in the social sciences.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Sound research, and prospecting acumen.
- Proven interpersonal skills to comfortably interact with foundation and corporation foundations.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English; including ability to provide succinct summaries of high volumes of complex information.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and conceptual thinking skills.
- Knowledge of the grant application process and demonstrated grant writing skills for various types of funding (large/small foundation, corporate).
- Competency in project management with demonstrated ability to think strategically, set goals and objectives, multi-task and execute strategy while maintaining a balanced perspective between the big picture and attention to the details.
- Capacity to collaborate with staff at all levels of the organization in professional, collegial and tactful manner, including when representing Firelight Foundation at outside meetings.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and across teams, with sensitivity and appreciation for diverse viewpoints and various communications styles
- Ability to respond with flexibility to unanticipated requests.
The Firelight Foundation values flexibility, innovation and collaboration. We operate with a small, creative staff in Santa Cruz, CA. We actively collaborate with other foundations to promote awareness of the issues facing children and communities in Africa.
- Knowledge and understanding of key issues facing vulnerable children in sub-Saharan Africa, based on travel or lived experience in Africa
- Experience working with and supporting the work of grassroots organizations.
- Familiarity with the programs and priorities of foundations and corporations likely to fund Firelight
- Personal network among relevant foundations, corporations and nonprofits.
- Experience with Mac computers and relational databases
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Full benefits include: medical/dental/vision/acupuncture/chiropractic coverage, generous vacation, life insurance and a retirement plan.
The Firelight Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Send updated CV, cover letter, writing sample, and salary history by November 15th, 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 831-429-2036 (e-mail submissions preferred). Please note “Grant Writer” in subject line of e-mail or fax. Only persons short-listed for interviews will be contacted. Job is open until filled.
No phone calls please.