Posted on September 20, 2012
Director of Communications
Congregation Emanu-El - Director of Communications
Congregation Emanu-El, a large Reform Jewish congregation of over 2100 households, is searching for a full-time Director of Communications.
The Director of Communications leads the development and implementation of Congregation Emanu-El’s communications and brand strategies in order to strengthen the Temple’s engagement with its congregants and members, its community, and the broader public.
The Director ensures that the organizational vision and values are successfully expressed and integrated across all Temple communication channels and vehicles—including print and online publications, web and social media initiatives, email applications, marketing and public/media relations—and that the Temple is consistent in its visual identity and public messaging, internally and externally.
The Director serves as the Temple’s communications expert and advisor internally, and as a member of the Temple’s leadership team (which consists of the Board of Directors; clergy; Executive Director; and Directors of Membership Services, Development, and Finance). Facilitates the formation and management of a Board of Directors Communications Committee, advises the Temple’s strategic planning Task Forces regarding communications and brand strategy, manages a department of three, and has considerable public contact through representation of the Temple.
- Develop and implement an integrated Temple-wide communications and brand strategy to engage current and future congregants, stimulate program attendance, and support the Temple’s contributed income goals:
- Oversee the creative and editorial direction, development, production and execution of all congregant and public communications (website, print and online publications, social media, marketing and advertising); and provide strategic oversight and support for membership and development materials, events and campaigns:
- Empower staff, leadership and congregants to serve as ambassadors and advocates of Congregation Emanu-El:
- Lead Temple media and community-relations activities:
- Manage the Communications Department:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree required. Major in Communications or Journalism preferred. Advanced degree desirable. Relevant education/experience in marketing, non-profit management and/or audience research beneficial.
- Work Experience: Minimum of ten years of experience in communications and marketing required, with the majority of that preferably in a community-based organization or cultural institution, or in higher education. Four years minimum of senior management experience at an organization of similar size and/or structure to Congregation Emanu-El.
- Desired Skills and Abilities: Excellent leadership abilities and oral and written communications skills; strong creative problem-solving, consensus building and analytic capabilities; the ability to work effectively with others at all levels as part of a team.
- Expertise in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic communications and marketing plans. Experience managing the production of a website, print and online publications and marketing/promotional materials, as well as working closely with graphic designers, media and other outside consultants and contacts. Experience with developing and maintaining budgets. Skill in organizing work and supervising staff for maximum effectiveness. Ability to interact in an effective, tactful, and professional manner with Board members, clergy, staff, congregants, the media and the public. Ability to maintain a collegial sense of humor and grace under pressure.
- Computer savvy with proficiency in PC-based software; knowledge of desktop publishing and graphics programs required; knowledge of Blackbaud NetCommunity highly desirable.
Satisfactory completion of a pre-employment physical, drug test and background check prior to employment.
Salary and benefits, commensurate with experience, includes individual health care and other benefits.
Send resume by email, fax or snail mail by September 28, 2012 to Director of Communications, Congregation Emanu-El 2 Lake Street, San Francisco, CA 94118, or firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 415-751-2511.