Posted on October 4, 2012
Project Coordinator, Children and Nature Initiative (Part-Time)
National Environmental Education Foundation
National Environmental Education Foundation - Project Coordinator, Children and Nature Initiative (Part-Time)
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF, www.neefusa.org) is seeking a dynamic, creative, highly motivated professional to coordinate a new project under the Children and Nature Initiative. The Children and Nature Initiative http://www.neefusa.org/health/children_nature.htm The initiative addresses two important issues — preventing serious health conditions like obesity and diabetes related to indoor sedentary lifestyles and connecting children to nature to promote good health, enjoyment, and environmental stewardship. NEEF is educating pediatric health care providers about the health benefits of nature and prescribing outdoor activities to children, and is partnering with various public/private partners to provide easily accessible nature programs for their families. This project replicates NEEF’s successful train-the-trainer model and will promote the health benefits of recreation and other outdoor activities on public lands.
The coordinator will work with NEEF Health & Environment program http://www.neefusa.org/health/index.htm staff to expand the Children and Nature Initiative, which has already been implemented in 20 sites around the country. Duties will include:
- Planning and hosting a webinar to train health care providers and partner site staff.
- Recruiting health care providers around the country to participate in the training webinar.
- Promoting the webinar to health care providers and partner organizations.
- Providing support to trained health care providers and nature site staff who will work together to coordinate the effort in their communities.
- Updating Children and Nature Initiative tools and resources and distribute them, as necessary.
- Tracking the activities of trained health care providers and nature site staff, including prescriptions written, prescriptions redeemed, other health care providers trained, and incentive programs.
- Work with nature site staff, health care providers, and other NEEF programs to facilitate partnerships within communities to encourage children and their families to utilize public lands for improved health outcomes.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree (required) in public health, environmental studies, education or related field; Master’s degree (preferred) and at least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in developing and managing programs or projects.
This is a part-time position. Position does not include benefits.
Hours: 15-20 hours a week
Contract date: 1 year (October 1, 2012 – Sept 30, 2013) with option to renew for additional two years*
Closing date: Open until filled
*start & end date may change depending upon hire date
To apply: Please email your resume, cover letter and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the “CNI Project Coordinator” in the subject line.