Posted on September 1, 2012
Junior Network Engineer
Vera Institute of Justice
Vera Institute of Justice - Junior Network Engineer
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society, examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
The Information Technology Department ensures the stability and integrity of the institute’s in-house network infrastructure and services. The Junior Network Engineer installs, configures, maintains and supports the institute’s network infrastructure, services and computer systems, so the institute has a reliable, robust and secure network infrastructure that provides maximum performance and availability for the technical needs of the entire staff.
Working closely with the Director of Information Technology and the NY-based IT staff, the Junior Network Engineer will:
- Participate in the planning, design and development of local area networks (LANs) and wide-area networks (WANs) across the institute;
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network component inventory, network mapping, processes, network asset management, service records and related documentation and technical specification;
- Analyze and resolve hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion and provide end-user training when required;
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry;
- Facilitate Information Technology trainings, workshops & seminars as needed to Vera staff;
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, system back-up, restore protocol and disaster recovery;
- Participate in the maintenance, troubleshooting and updating of the network and security infrastructure, including tests and implementations of vendor security patches, and workarounds for un-patched security vulnerabilities;
- Maintain current knowledge of hardware, software and network technology and assist with the planning, design, research and acquisition of new or upgraded hardware and software systems, recommending modifications as necessary.
- Provide limited day-to-day technical support via the Help Desk to employees working in institute offices, as well as remotely;
- Handle some network/system administration duties including, but not limited to, installing, testing, configuring, monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network services, network hardware & printers, end-user workstations, laptops, software, and peripheral devices;
- Collaborate with our Internet provider to address any issues with Internet Connection;
- Assist with the troubleshooting of all issues related to VOIP phone systems before escalating to our phone carrier;
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science or a related field required;
- Certifications in CCNA, MCSA, MCSE or MCP strongly desired;
- Six to eight years experience with LAN, WAN design and implementation (network engineering) and network administration required;
- Strong hands-on technical knowledge of PC operating systems, networking software & hardware, cabling & protocols (DHCP, DNS, FTP, TCP/IP, VOIP, etc);
- Some experience in web conferencing, network switch configuration, wireless networks, Microsoft SQL Server, email, smartphone & firewall administration;
- Some experience with scripting, virtualization and pc imaging;
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws;
- Qualified candidates must be reliable, responsible, able to multi-task, and have strong organizational, writing, communication, customer service and people skills; and
- Final candidate will be subject to, with offer contingent on, a criminal and financial background check.
Work will primarily be during the institute’s customary business hours, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., however candidates may on occasion be required to work some nights and weekends.
Low 60’s – Low 70’s. Excellent benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume.
Online submission is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources/IT recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Flr.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.