Posted on January 9, 2013
Human Resources Manager
Trickle Up - Human Resources Manager
About Trickle Up
Founded in 1979, Trickle Up works with the poorest and most vulnerable—the ultrapoor—to develop sustainable livelihoods and be agents of change in their households and communities. In partnership with local organizations in five countries in West Africa, Central America and India, we provide training and seed capital to help women launch or expand productive businesses, and savings support to help them build their assets. In the past five years, we have helped help start or expand nearly 50,000 enterprises, improving the lives of more than 250,000 people. Trickle Up’s annual budget is approximately $4.3 million, and we have a staff of about 40 people, with headquarters in New York City and field offices in India, Burkina Faso, and Guatemala. See www.trickleup.org for more information.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Finance and Administration, this new position will implement and expand Trickle Up’s human resource policies, programs and services, in alignment with Trickle Up’s values, culture and organizational objectives. The Human Resources Manager will support staff and managers across the entire employment cycle, providing a wide range of generalist duties including staffing, compensation, employee relations and Organizational Development. The Human Resources Manager will work in close collaboration with staff in our headquarters office as well as with Regional Representatives in our three international offices. S/he will also work with outside legal counsel on legal and compliance issues, as well as with vendors for employee health insurance and other benefit programs, and will engage in research-oriented project work on an as-needed basis.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Review and recommend Human Resource policies and programs for hiring, employee relations, compensation, and benefits, so that they are compliant with local law and practice, and aligned with organizational values.
- Support staff, by providing counsel and support throughout the employment cycle, covering job announcements, recruitment strategy, structured interviews, compensation offers, induction, advancement, and resignation/separation.
- Provide leadership and resources to the Performance Management process across the organization assuring access to appropriate and consistently applied processes and instruments for job descriptions, performance plans, and annual assessments.
- Work with outside legal counsel in the US and where Trickle Up has field offices, ensure that employee agreements comply with local statutory requirements.
- Revise and maintain written manuals, documentation and ancillary communications pieces for all relevant policies and procedures.
- Benchmark and maintain compensation structures.
- Assist in facilitating organizational planning processes that evaluate structure, job design, and human capital needs throughout the organization.
- Improve and maintain appropriate systems for employee records, and utilize this data to provide HR analytics.
- In close consultation with Finance staff, manage renewal process for health insurance and other employee benefits.
- Assist staff in identifying and utilizing training and developmental opportunities.
- Represent Trickle Up in the Inside NGO and NPCC Human Resources community.
We are seeking an experienced HR professional with:
- Strong HR generalist background and five years of experience. Experience in an international non-profit organization is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated excellence developing and documenting human resource policies.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of employment law and regulation.
- Superb human relations skills, including a sense of humor, a positive can-do attitude and the humility to regularly incorporate feedback from others.
- Flexibility and an ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment that values participation and consensus.
- Unassailable integrity and the ability to engender the trust and confidence of a diverse and engaged staff
- Able to meet multiple time-sensitive deadlines handle confidential information in a discreet and professional manner
- Affinity to Trickle Up’s mission.
- A bachelor’s degree; a Masters degree in HR a plus.
- Excellent written, spoken, and cross-cultural communication skills, including fluency in English.
- French and/or Spanish language skill helpful.
- US work authorization required.
Salary and benefits
This is a full-time position based in New York, NY. The salary is competitive with excellent benefits.
Trickle Up is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and extend equal opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or disability. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This is a new position and candidates will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name in the subject line. We will only contact those individuals we are interested in interviewing. Please, no phone calls.