Posted on March 14, 2013
Director of Policy and Programs
Women In Government
Women In Government - Director of Policy and Programs
Reports to: President/Executive Director
Supervises: Policy/Programs Manager, Policy/Programs Associates, and Graduate Fellows
Location: Washington, DC Office
Overall job responsibilities:
Directs all policy and public relations activity and manages Policy and Programs Department and staff for Women In Government Foundation, Inc (WIG) and newer organization Women In Government Coalition Action Network! (WIG CAN!).
Leadership over the Policy Department
- Direct staff operations for the Policy Department and policy work including policy resource centers, toolkits, and website
- Provide strategic planning for policy and program development
- Develop and execute a communications plan
- Direct all Women In Government public relations and marketing activities; Develop press releases and other media and social communications; Lead efforts to “pitch” Women In Government to the media; Help serve as a spokesperson with the media on all issues; Direct Women In Government publications and website
Provide oversight for all conferences/events WIG hosts
- Direct agenda development and speaker recruitment
- Provide onsite Department/organizational support at conferences as needed
Oversee and implement all lobbying activities performed out of WIG CAN!
- Strong understanding of lobbying and related non-profit tax laws regarding political and lobbying activities
- Ability to prepare draft legislation, testimony, and other related advocacy materials
- Act as WIG CAN! lobbyist, and register in states as needed
Coordinate with Development office to create and “pitch” policy programs and initiatives to sponsors
- Oversee the implementation of all policy and programs initiatives and funded projects
- Work with Development staff to identify measurable outcomes and deliverables for funded projects and oversee the collection of data and reporting on project outcomes
- In coordination with other Policy staff, develop partnerships with advocacy and other groups to expand networking and funding opportunities for Women In Government
- Provide Policy Department support to other internal Departments, members, sponsors and others on an as-needed basis
College graduate, advanced degree preferred. Three to five years experience managing the development of policy, preferably for a state-based organization. Healthcare policy experience and/or communications experience a plus.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.