Posted on June 19, 2012
Columbia University - Communications Manager
The Communications Manager is responsible for communications for the Social Enterprise Program (SEP) and the Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Center for Leadership and Ethics at Columbia Business School. He/she leads communications strategy and initiatives involving students, alumni, and donors and supports fellow team members on outreach initiatives. He/she works with current students to appropriately showcase their work in summer internships, consulting projects, and nonprofit board leadership. He/she leads writing, editing and design for independent projects as well as with other members of the SEP and Bernstein staff.
- Manage production of design and editorial content of communication materials, including fact sheets, fundraising materials, newsletters, board materials, etc.
- Maintain websites for the SEP and Bernstein Center, ensuring relevant, up-to-date content; incorporate compelling visuals to the sites, including photos of events and student projects
- Assist development team with communications initiatives and produce content to increase donor support
- Support current students on communications initiatives for clubs, conferences and student events
- Manage contacts database of connections with the SEP and Bernstein Center, including featured guests and speakers, alumni, etc.
- Measure and track effectiveness of marketing efforts, using metrics tools to report online traffic; track media mentions of relevant faculty, alumni, and students
- Edit and produce videos of student projects and events to engage students, alumni and donors
- Maintain social media strategy for both SEP and Bernstein Center; Update content and moderate comments on the Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages for the Program and Center
- Write and edit extensively for a variety of internal and external audiences. Content includes web content, handouts, correspondence, research reports, annual reports, and newsletters; Generate timely and compelling news and blog ideas
- Work with web programmers, photographers, and videographers to ensure that visual content is aligned with the Program and Center's images, respectively
- Coordinate with fellow team members to assist with communications initiatives with their respective programming,
- Process invoices for communications expenses and oversee budget for communications program
- Advise prospective students about the SEP and Bernstein Center 14. Keep up with relevant emerging social media and incorporate how to leverage those outlets as a communications tool with alumni, donors, current and prospective students
Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent required. Two years relevant experience required.
Must be an efficient, detail-oriented team player, able to work independently as well as cooperatively in a group. Must have excellent communication and written skills and ability to meet deadlines. Must be proficient in HTML, Adobe Creative Suite programs, Wordpress, video editing software, and all Microsoft Office Suite programs. Must have high level of proficiency and experience using social media marketing, and online measurement tools/analytics and reporting.
Familiarity with web-based content management systems and customer relationship management systems, and experience with design and production of print materials preferred.
Please see job description and application online. No phone calls or emails please.