Posted on February 22, 2012
Director, External Affairs
Doe Fund - Director, External Affairs
The Doe Fund (TDF) is a leading New York City non-profit organization that operates the enormously popular and highly visible Ready, Willing & Able program. Its participants can be seen cleaning 150 miles of NYC streets and sidewalks each day in paid transitional jobs that represent the core of the program. With a $50 million budget, over 400 staff members and 46,000 individual donors, TDF is nationally acclaimed as a work-based model for solving homelessness and criminal recidivism.
TDF is seeking a Director of External Affairs, who will work closely with the Founders and the Development Department to ensure that the organization’s message and mission is accurately represented and disseminated to the public in a cohesive manner. In addition, the Director of External Affairs will be the first line of response to inquiries from the press and public at large, as well as government officials.
- Maximize media exposure for the organization, its programs, and its participants, including conceptualization and development of pitches and press releases, as well as general correspondence, op-ed pieces, and letters to the editor on behalf of the Founders.
- Develop proactive and reactive communications strategies, including a public relations plan, crisis communications, and breaking news.
- Serve as spokesperson before community groups and members of the media.
- Bring a public relations perspective to high-level organizational strategy and policy discussions and decisions.
- Collaborate with Development Department on marketing, advertising, and collateral materials, including website and social media content.
- Develop and maintain print and virtual press kit(s) highlighting selected media coverage.
- Work hand-in-hand with staff and Board Members to encourage community partnerships that resulting in familiarity with The Doe Fund’s mission and an increase in major gifts.
- Compose speeches for Founders, program graduates, and program participates for use at special events and public appearances.
- Work closely with Manager of Special Events on all events from theme conception to “night of” details with special emphasis on annual Gala.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, and Master’s Degree preferred (ideally in areas such as Public Relations, Political Science, Communications, etc.).
- 4 years of combined public relations experience, including agency and/or in-house work.
- Excellent persuasive writing, editing, and proofreading skills, as well as the ability to adapt writing style to multiple audiences.
- Unparalleled creativity and attention to detail, as well as the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines.
- A strong connection to the mission of The Doe Fund and understanding of issues facing the populations we serve is preferred.
- The Doe Fund is a fast paced, energetic, dynamic environment that employs people with strategic and innovative ideas. We offer a competitive salary with full benefits including: medical, dental, vacation, personal and sick time, etc.
Please apply directly via out website at:https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=1237611. Only candidates who apply online will be considered-NO faxed or mailed resumes will be accepted!