Posted on December 7, 2012
Museum Store Assistants
Asian Art Museum
Asian Art Museum - Museum Store Assistants
The Asian Art Museum is seeking flexible, reliable, and "people-oriented" individuals with retail and customer service experience to assist with the operations of a dynamic museum store located in the busy Westfield Shopping Centre. The mobile retail unit offering a unique array of Asian and Asian-inspired merchandise will be an important public outpost for the museum.
The Museum Store Assistant will be assigned to perform a variety of duties including greeting and assisting customers, opening and closing of the retail unit, opening and reconciling the register, handling sales transactions, maintaining the store appearance, and assisting with stocking, inventory, and preparing merchandise.
The Assistant is expected to provide consistent exceptional customer service and to build sales through proactive, positive interaction with the customers. Store Assistants will be ambassadors of the Asian Art Museum as well as sales assistants.
- The nature of the work requires standing for long periods of time.
- Dress code is required.
- Weekend hours will be required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Greets and assists store customers; maintains a consistently high level of customer service; answers visitor questions and provides information including general knowledge of store as well as museum exhibitions, policies, and programs.
- Handles customer sales transactions using computerized cash register; processes customer returns, complaints, and check approvals; counts drawer and cashes out registers.
- Assists the Sales Floor Supervisor, and Assistant Manager of Retail Operations in maintaining store appearance, displays, and cleanliness; assists with the daily maintenance and re-stocking of the sales floor, including merchandise and store supplies.
- Completes periodic manual counts of merchandise on the retail sales unit ; communicates problems and suggestions including inventory needs to Sales Floor Supervisor and Assistant Manager of Retail Operations.
- Maintains strong working knowledge of merchandise, including merchandise location and pertinent background information.
- Fifteen (15) to twenty (20) hours per week
- Typical shifts will vary week to week based on schedule (working hours will be between 9:30 am and 9:00 pm, seven days a week)
- Minimum one (1) year retail sales, cashiering, and customer service experience
- Knowledge of and experience with computerized cash registers; experience with RetailPro®8 a plus
- Strong aptitude for numbers; cash handling and reconciliation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Honest, flexible, dependable, and conscientious
- Accurate and detail oriented
- Ability to work effectively and quickly in an extremely busy retail environment
- Ability to: deal with museum staff, volunteers, and the general public in a courteous, helpful, and efficient manner; problem solve and exercise good judgment and diplomacy at all times
- Ability to work weekend and evening hours
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Some knowledge of Asian art and culture preferred
$14.43 per hour
Apply online at http://bitly.com/V7hvIN or
Send a letter of interest and resume ASAP to:
Asian Art Museum
200 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
* The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 17,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity.*
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.