Posted on November 29, 2012
Legal Aid Society of The District of Columbia
Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia - Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
The Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia seeks one Legal Assistant/Paralegal to provide administrative and paralegal support to multiple attorneys. The ability to speak Spanish or another relevant language is strongly preferred. Likewise, the ability to make a two-year commitment to the job is strongly preferred.
Legal Aid was formed in 1932 to “provide legal aid and counsel to indigent persons in civil law matters and to encourage measures by which the law may better protect and serve their needs.” Legal Aid is the oldest general civil legal services program in the District of Columbia. Over the last 80 years, tens of thousands of the District’s neediest residents have been served by Legal Aid staff and volunteers. For more information on Legal Aid please go online to visit our website, www.legalaiddc.org, and our blog, www.MakingJusticeReal.Org.
Tasks and Duties
The Legal Assistant/Paralegal will be assigned to the Domestic Violence/Family Unit and will provide basic clerical support, assist in litigation, conduct investigations, meet with clients, and perform other tasks as necessary. The successful candidate will work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment that often requires multitasking while at the same time maintaining a high level of attention to detail. The Legal Assistant/Paralegal will work with lawyers and other staff, volunteers, clients and witnesses.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail,
- Effective written and oral communication skills,
- Outgoing personality and desire to take initiative in managing projects,
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook (familiarity with working with online databases helpful but not required),
- Strong commitment to working with under-served individuals and communities,
- Valid driver’s license strongly desirable but not required,
- Ability to speak Spanish or other language also strongly desirable but not required, and
- Availability to make a two-year commitment strongly preferred.
The Legal Assistant/Paralegal will be paid in accordance with Legal Aid’s salary scale. Legal Aid also offers a generous benefits package.
To apply, email a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.
The Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia values a diverse workplace and encourages all persons of any race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, and veteran status to apply. Legal Aid is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any protected status.