Posted on September 6, 2012
Director of Technology
James Irvine Foundation
James Irvine Foundation - Director of Technology
The James Irvine Foundation is a private, nonprofit grantmaking foundation dedicated to expanding opportunity for the people of California to participate in a vibrant, successful and inclusive society.The Foundation’s grantmaking focuses on three program areas: Arts, California Democracy and Youth. Since 1937 the Foundation has provided over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 3,500 nonprofit organizations throughout California. With about $1.6 billion in assets, the Foundation made grants of $65 million in 2011 for the people of California.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Director of Technology directs all activities relating to the oversight, vision, planning, development, strategy, operations and executive engagement for the Foundation’s Information Technology and Knowledge Management needs, including major projects, network administration, electronic communications, specialized databases, and office applications for local and remote locations. The Director of Technology recognizes new developments in information technology systems, determines their relevance to the business and incorporates these developments where and when it makes business sense into the direction of the IT strategy. This position will ensure delivery of high quality and state-of-the-art information architecture, infrastructure and services in support of program design, grantmaking and financial and administrative activities. The Director of Technology leads others and is a trusted member of the Foundation’s management team.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establishes the Foundation’s technical vision and leads all aspects of the Foundation’s technological development. Provide short- and long-range strategic leadership in planning, developing, implementing and maintaining technology, information systems and social media platforms that support and achieve the Foundation’s goals
- Works in a consultative fashion with other department heads as an advisor of technologies that may improve their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provides leadership to department heads in a fashion that supports the Foundation’s culture, mission and values.
- Conducts research and develops familiarity with leading edge technologies and makes determinations for implementation.
- Acts as a good steward of The James Irvine Foundation resources and ensures control of the annual IT Department budget and IT Capital budget.
- Responds effectively to multiple needs from internal and external constituents, particularly program and communications teams and grantees.
- Directs technical staff’s delivery of computing services and support for all staff. Provides direction for the recruitment, selection, training, development, supervision and retention of high caliber IT staff.
TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT
- Develop, design, plan and lead the configuration and implementation of infrastructure (whether internal, externally housed or hosted), including networking, video and telephony solutions to meet staff and business needs.
- Analyze and integrate functionality of San Francisco and Los Angeles operations.
- Work with department managers to formulate solutions and provide IT consultation and advice on program area technology-related initiatives.
- Implement and deploy emerging technologies as appropriate with business needs.
- Approve proposals and validate protocols for new application installations.
- Manage external partnerships with technology service consultants, and oversee contractual negotiations (i.e. software licenses, equipment maintenance, Internet & private line provisioning)
Master’s degree preferred, bachelor’s degree required in information technology or a closely related field
A minimum of 8-10 years progressively responsible experience in information technology
Minimum of 8-10 years in management with experience managing IT services, strategies and infrastructures.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff
Ability to think and act strategically and innovatively
Strong writing and presentation skills
Excellent technical skills and demonstrated knowledge of emerging technologies
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to:
Application deadline: Friday, September 21, 2012