Posted on February 6, 2013
RightRides For Women's Safety
RightRides for Women's Safety - RightRides for Women's Safety
The mission of RightRides for Women’s Safety is to build safer communities by ending gender-based harassment and sexual assault. In our flagship program, we offer women and LGBTQ individuals a free, late-night ride home to ensure their safe commute to or through high-risk areas. The service is made possible with the help of over 150 dedicated volunteers and a sponsorship from Zipcar, which donates the cars used each week. Since 2004, we have provided nearly 6,000 safe rides home and have received numerous civic awards and media coverage. For more information, please visit www.RightRides.org. We are also a founding member and the managing partner of New Yorkers for Safe Transit, a coalition of organizations working to address gender-based violence and increase public safety in the city’s mass transit systems. For more information, please visit www.NYFST.org.
2013 Board Openings
We are currently seeking candidates who are interested in joining our board and sharing their expertise and networks in order to advance the organization’s mission and programs. Ideal candidates will be passionate and knowledgeable about women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, anti-violence efforts, racial justice, community empowerment, and/or grassroots activism.
We estimate each board member to contribute 6-10 hours a month, on average. Of course, if we have a larger board this commitment will be reduced. Additionally, we are particularly interested in applicants with the following skills or interest. If you prefer training, we will provide it:
- Financial Oversight - Seeking candidates who have experience in accounting or finance and are able to contribute significantly to the board’s oversight of the organization’s finances. Ideally, candidates will have financial-management expertise and/or hold a CPA designation.
- Fundraising - Seeking candidates who are able to cultivate individual donors and corporate sponsors and successfully secure major donations (at minimum $1,000+) and/or monthly-giving commitments.
- Strategy and Management - Seeking candidates with expertise in strategic planning, operations management, mission oversight, and/or program evaluation. Members must have strong interest in working closely with the executive director, staff and key volunteers to develop a long-term operations strategy for the organization.
Responsibilities and Expectations
Each board member signs an agreement in good faith to take an active role within the organization and to serve for at least one year. Major responsibilities for all board members include:
- Attend at minimum 75% board meetings per year, and additional meetings as appropriate to board membership. Some may be conference calls.
- Adhere to the board’s “give or get” commitment of $1,000 per calendar year
- Play active role in fundraising efforts, developing relationships with major donors, corporate sponsors, in-kind donors, and other partners (We will train you if need be)
- Provide proper, informed financial oversight (We will train you if need be)
- Participate in the recruitment and orientation of new board members
- Keep abreast of best practices and opportunities in the field; share with other board members and executive director
- Attend and promote the organization’s events
- Participate in annual performance evaluation of executive director
HOW TO APPLY
Please email Board Chair Stephanie Joson at email@example.com for an application.
Application for Prospective RightRides for Women’s Safety Board Members
Note: Please attach updated CV or Resume for full picture of your work experience.
Current Employer and Position:
Current or Prior Nonprofit Board Positions/Activity:
Other Relevant Employment or Volunteer Experience:
Referred by/How did you hear about the posting:
Why are you interested in joining the board of RightRides for Women’s Safety?
you feel you could contribute to furthering the organization’s mission?
Please indicate in which of the following areas you would contribute to best serve the board (please choose two)
- Financial Oversight
- Event Planning &/or Fundraising
- Grant Research
- Mission Oversight
- Policy Advocacy
- Corporate Sponsorships/Partnerships
- Media Outreach/ Social media
- Strategic Planning
- Legislative Outreach
Please share any additional information that you would like us to consider:
We strive to empower our board to exercise the type of leadership that is most relevant and interesting to them – even if we need to figure out a way to train you so you can be spectacular at it. We have high hopes that our new board is excited, energized and feels like they are contributing to something they really believe in. We don’t want you to burn out so we plan to spread out the roles. But this is a commitment so we have to ask a few questions up front:
- Are you willing to meet the challenge to get or give $1000 for each fiscal year of your membership?
- Are you willing to attend (by phone or in person) 75% of board and relevant committee meetings (Some of these may be conference calls)?
- Are you willing to be an active participant in meetings and read minutes and financial statements, and only approve them it they make budgetary and fiscal sense (don’t worry, we’ll train you!)?
In short, we want board members who *want* to be board members of this truly dynamic organization doing what no one else seems to be doing in NYC.
Thank you for your interest! Please return this application and a current resume to Stephanie Joson, Board Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org Please write “board application” in the subject line.
If you have questions about the organization contact Radha Patel, Executive Director at 650-303-2300