Posted on August 16, 2012
Director of International Programs
McConnell Foundation - Director of International Programs
The McConnell Foundation is a non-profit organization whose mission is to help build better communities through philanthropy.
The McConnell Foundation based in Redding, California values working in partnerships. We value excellence and integrity, using our personnel, facilities, and financial resources for positive change, long-term planning, working responsibly and respectfully with others, as well as encouraging creative ideas and entrepreneurial strategies. Each individual at the Foundation makes a unique contribution to The McConnell Foundation team, working to strengthen and enrich the communities the Foundation serves.
Position Overview: To support the above efforts, The McConnell Foundation is seeking to hire a Director of International Programs to join its committed team in Redding, California. We seek to hire a motivated individual who will provide strategic leadership and operational management of our programs in both Nepal and Laos. Beyond filling the duties of the job, the Director must also have a commitment and a desire to help move the whole organization forward.
- Strategically develop, under the guidance of the board and management team, new international programs as opportunities and funding allows, consistent with board direction and The McConnell Foundation values and program quality standards;
- Ensure maintenance and lead the development of existing international programs, ensuring close collaboration to ensure program outcomes are achieved;
- Proactively support program partners to ensure effectiveness of the programs;
- Develop and maintain high level of rapport, mutual confidence and open cooperation with teams in order to sustain a culture of accountability;
- Advise The McConnell Foundation board and management on strategic trends, needs and opportunities.
Program Management and Development:
- Ensure program targets and quality standards are achieved, maintaining frequent communication with program partners to promptly identify and resolve the challenges they face;
- Lead the development of program management standards and tools, based on best practices, to ensure program effectiveness, quality and innovation;
- Monitor and support the implementation of effective evaluation processes;
- Conduct site visits in Nepal and Laos to ensure program delivery and team effectiveness;
- Working cooperatively with program partners in designing and implementing innovative programs that tangibly serve the needs of the people in Nepal and Laos.
- Responsible for managing a significant annual budget;
- Provide oversight of budgets and management of program spending. Anticipate potential funding gaps, develop contingency plans, and closely monitor cost over-runs and uncovered program costs;
- Ensure compliance with OFAC regulations.
- Develop and maintain contacts with key partners, U.S. government, UN agency officials, and in-country officials and representatives.
Educational, Technical Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Four year degree with preference for an advanced degree;
- Experience in the philanthropic field with knowledge of the principal issues, policies and trends in international grantmaking;
- Experience demonstrating a collaborative approach to ensure program effectiveness;
- Commitment to personally champion The McConnell Foundationís program mission and vision;
- Proven strategic thinking, problem solving, and conflict management skills;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and innovation;
- Available for frequent international travel, and the ability to adapt to the people and cultures required with this travel.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with education and experience. Position includes benefits.
To Apply: All cover letters and resumes MUST BE RECEIVED by The McConnell Foundation by August 24, 2012. Please e-mail a cover letter and resume including references to email@example.com or via traditional mail to:
The McConnell Foundation
Attention: China Rose Morrison, HR Professional
800 Shasta View Drive
Redding, CA 96003