Posted on January 3, 2013
Senior Officer, Major Gifts
International Rescue Committee
International Rescue Committee - Senior Officer, Major Gifts
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, we offer lifesaving relief and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. With a total budget nearing $400 million, the IRC works in 40 countries and 22 American cities.
The IRC seeks a results-driven, highly motivated Senior Officer to cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of donors and prospects with the capacity to give 6- and 7-figure leadership level gifts. The portfolio will also include select members of the IRC’s Board of Directors and Overseers. The ideal candidate will be an entrepreneurial professional who enjoys front-line relationship building, soliciting, and developing and driving strategies with senior leadership. Key responsibilities include crafting strategies to actively engage donors and prospects, preparing the President, senior staff and volunteers for solicitations and personal engagement, and developing highly tailored proposals..
The Senior Officer will join an effective team and work directly with impassioned supporters deeply vested in the IRC’s role of addressing global humanitarian issues. The team is comprised of Major and Planned Giving experts who themselves are a component of the IRC’s dynamic Leadership Gifts team, which raises over $30 million from individuals, corporation and foundations annually.
- Cultivate and solicit a portfolio of leadership level donors ($100K plus) and prospects (with $100K plus potential) and Board and Overseer members;
- Creatively draw on experience and relationship-building savvy to make connections and secure in-person appointments for self and IRC leadership (staff and volunteer) with 60 donors and prospects annually;
- Create compelling engagement opportunities tailored to donors’ needs and expectations as well as attract new prospective donors;
- Co-craft and execute with Director and VP strategies to expand portfolio of leadership donors;
- Liaise with colleagues in External Relations, International Programs, U.S. Programs, and other departments to gather information and develop compelling materials for donor meetings, solicitations, and cultivation correspondence, and strategy, briefing, and debriefing materials;
- Collaborate with colleagues across Leadership Gifts and in Strategic Marketing to build an effective case for investing in the IRC at the leadership gifts level;
- Establish and maintain a quick and steady pace of communications and face-to-face visits, including solicitations, and fastidiously track actions and progress utilizing Raisers Edge and other software applications;
- Undertake special Projects as assigned by Director.
- Bachelors Degree; Masters Degree a plus;
- 5+ years in major gifts;
- Experience in international organizations a plus;
- Proven track-record of developing and implementing strategies for growth, closing gifts and managing relationships;
- Strong leadership, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills;
- The ability to work as part of a team and also independently;
- Ability to adapt, be flexible, and creative;
- Ability to plan for and manage multiple projects while working in a fast-paced environment;
- Must be organized, creative, pro-active, detail-oriented, and strong ability to prioritize;
- Sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information;
- Driver’s license and experience with domestic business travel; and
- Solid Computer skills: ability to work effectively and accurately with MS Word, Excel, email and internet applications. Preferred knowledge of Raisers Edge.
Must include explanation of your interest in the IRC in your cover letter.
Please apply at: http://bit.ly/Ul6B2V