Posted on February 24, 2012
Data Services Coordinator
Columbia University Libraries/Information Services
Columbia University Libraries/Information Services - Data Services Coordinator
The Columbia University Libraries invites nominations and applications for the position of Data Services Coordinator, Social Sciences Libraries division. The Data Service Coordinator will coordinate the development and delivery of data services to faculty and students across the various schools and departments served. The incumbent will work with colleagues in the division to identify data-intensive research initiatives within the social sciences research community and engage opportunities for collaboration.
The Data Services Coordinator will lead in designing and providing support for qualitative data analysis tools and will work with other data services providers within the Columbia University Libraries to help develop a coordinated approach to data services programming. As a member of the team providing high-end data support in the Digital Social Sciences Center,
http://library.columbia.edu/indiv/dssc.html, the incumbent will assist users in finding, manipulating and analyzing numeric data and assisting in the use of statistical software.
The Data Services Coordinator will engage technologies emerging as critical to research and teaching in the social sciences, including those supporting data-intensive research, data visualization, etc. The Data Services Coordinator will also support the evolution and enhancement of innovative library services and technology initiatives in virtual environments and on mobile web and social computing platforms. This position will report to the Director of the Social Sciences Libraries Division.
The successful candidate will have:
- A Masters or PhD in a social science discipline such as statistics, economics, library science, etc., or an equivalent combination of education and demonstrated experience manipulating and analyzing numeric data
- demonstrated experience using quantitative research tools such as SPSS, Stata, R. etc.
- demonstrated ability to work collegially and cooperatively within and across organizations.
- ability to work independently with varied user groups in a complex organization and function collaboratively in a rapidly changing team environment.
- strong public service orientation.
- excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communications, and interpersonal skills.
Also highly desirable:
- experience providing research support in an academic library setting
- demonstrated experience using spatial data and GIS tools such as ArcGIS
- demonstrated experience using qualitative research tools such as NVivio or Atlas.ti
- familiarity with visualization technologies
- demonstrated record of success designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual community. Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents the unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York City. The University Libraries, grounded in collections of remarkable depth and breadth, are also building extensive electronic resources and services. The Libraries at Columbia are committed to collegiality, professionalism, innovation and leadership.
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and excellent benefits.
To apply for this position please visit the following link:
Columbia University is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.