Visit us to use our library and to attend classes and events. First time visitor? Read this.
Foundation Center-New York
79 Fifth Avenue, Second Floor
New York, NY 10003-3076
Tel: (212) 620-4230
Fax: (212) 807-3677
The Foundation Center's headquarters library is located on the east side of Fifth Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets, one block west of Union Square. The main entrance is on Fifth Avenue.
The facility is wheelchair accessible at 8 East 16th Street (between Fifth Avenue and Union Square West).
The New York office is conveniently located near several subway stops: 14th Street/Union Square on the L, N, Q, R, W, 4, 5, and 6 lines; 14th Street/6th Avenue on the L, F, and V lines; and 14th Street/7th Avenue on 1, 2, and 3 lines. The PATH train is also nearby at 14th Street/6th Avenue.
Fifth Avenue in the center of Manhattan is a one-way street going south. The Foundation Center is located a few blocks north of Washington Square near Greenwich Village. Because of traffic congestion, use of public transportation is strongly recommended. If this is not an option, call (212) 620-4230 for more specific instructions from your location.
Street parking near Fifth Avenue is limited. Occasionally some short-term spaces are available directly on Fifth Avenue. The closest parking lot is located on 15th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. Another lot is located on 12th Street between University Place and Fifth Avenue. Fees range from approximately $8 to $16 per day.
Services for People with Disabilities
To ensure equitable access to our library resources for all, the Foundation Center is committed to providing services to individuals with disabilities. These services include but are not limited to:
In the Library:
- Wheelchair-accessible reference desk and computer workstations.
- Free photocopying of a reasonable number of pages from books and other library resources, within the parameters of copyright laws, as required to provide equal access.
- For visitors with visual impairments, reader services are available for up to one hour. (Advance notice is requested.)
- Screen-reading software (JAWS) to read electronic text aloud.
- Screen-magnifier/reader (ZoomText) to enlarge electronic text (with optional audio).
- Premier Literacy (computers #1, 15, 16, 17): Screen reader especially effective with PDF files and other assistive technology to help users process text online.
- Video magnifier/CCTV to enlarge books and articles in our print collection.
- Handheld magnifier with light.
- Personal amplifier for use by hard-of-hearing visitors at our reception or reference desks.
- ASL signers provided for Foundation Center trainings and special programs. Two weeks' notice is requested to allow for contracting with outside agencies. Attendees are encouraged to contact us in advance to discuss other accommodations.
- Ergonomic keyboard for users needing assistance working on computers.
In Our Training Annex:
- For visitors with hearing impairments, a signer is available upon request for our scheduled training sessions (Advance notice is required).
- For other accommodations related to our training sessions, contact us at email@example.com.
On the Internet:
Wheelchair access to the New York Library is at 8 East 16th Street (between Fifth Avenue and Union Square West).
- People with visual impairments may also wish to visit the People with Disabilities area of the Foundation Center's web site.
Please feel free to contact us to let us know of your special needs, in advance of a visit at (212) 620-4230.
Small Meeting Room
The Foundation Center provides a small meeting room to enable individuals or groups of up to three people to speak quietly during regular library hours. It is available free of charge and can only be reserved on the day of intended use for one 45-minute session. You may sign up at the reference desk. Please note that eating or drinking is not allowed in the room, and sound levels must be kept to a minimum. If you require a larger room (up to 70 people) consider renting our Training Annex.
Prefer to use your own laptop or other mobile device when visiting the Foundation Center? You can access Foundation Directory Online Professional, Philanthropy In/Sight, and other databases through the library's Wi-Fi service. Learn more.
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
10:00 am-5:00 pm
10:00 am-8:00 pm
The library will be closed on Saturdays in July and August.
Book Purchasing Hours
10:00 am-5:00 pm
Please note: Book sales staff unavailable Wednesday evenings and Saturdays.
Please note that the Foundation Center-New York is a nut-free environment. All nuts and nut products are prohibited. Read our full library policy.
79 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003-3076