GRANT GUIDELINES & APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Funding Objectives: The Foundation supports capital projects such as hard costs related to the construction or purchase of new facilities, building renovations and improvements, purchase of capital equipment and furnishings, and other one-time capital needs. There is limited support for medical research. Broad fields of support include education, social services, arts, health, religion, and humanities. The current geographic areas of grant support are primarily the five boroughs of New York City, and Essex, Morris, and Union Counties in New Jersey. Most grants fall in the range of $5,000 - $20,000.
Limitations: The Foundation only gives grants to nonprofit organizations with a valid tax exemption status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and which are classified as public charities and not “private foundations” under Sections 509(a)(1) or (2) of the code. In general, the Foundation does not accept applications for endowment, operating support, benefit fundraisers, annual fund appeals, or from fiscal agents. Grants will not be made for leases or rentals of equipment. Grants are not made to individuals, or for projects outside the United States of America.
Please note that we do not accept proposals by email.
- A completed Grant Application Form. Document is available at the Foundation’s web site: www.foundationcenter.org/grantmaker/hydeandwatson
- A brief narrative (no longer than three pages in length), signed by an authorized official, summarizing the background of the organization and constituency served, the purpose of the appeal, project total and amount requested, and anticipated time frame for the project.
- A project budget with line items, including amount raised and balance needed.
- An operating budget for the current fiscal year.
- A list of corporate and foundation supporters for the most recent fiscal year.
- A list of the Board of Directors/Trustees and their business affiliations.
- A copy of the most recent audited financial report is strongly preferred. If one is not available, the most recent Form 990 will be accepted. If neither are available, please call the Foundation to discuss.
- A copy of the organization’s Annual Report (if available).
- A copy of the organization’s most recent 501(c)(3) and 509(a) IRS ruling letter.
- Written confirmation by an authorized official of your organization that your organization is currently in compliance with all mandatory Federal and State Tax and filing requirements.
Applications are accepted between November 15 and February 15 for consideration at the Spring meeting, and between June 15 and September 15 for the Fall meeting. Please note, there is an ongoing review of proposals; therefore, it is strongly suggested that applicants do not wait until the deadline to submit proposals. Late appeals will likely be deferred for consideration at subsequent meetings to allow sufficient time for evaluation.
If your organization is a former grantee, in accordance with our current guidelines, we will not consider any future proposals from your organization until a report is provided for any previous grants received from this Foundation. The
Grant Report Form is available here.
Grant proposals should be addressed to:
The Hyde and Watson Foundation
31-F Mountain Boulevard
Warren, New Jersey 07059
Attention: Mr. William V. Engel, President