Mission & Core Values
Officers & Trustees
History of the
Henry and Dorothy
Castle Memorial Fund
Message from the
Message from the
Conflict of Interest Statement
Digital Technology Requests
Request for Proposals
Submitting a Proposal
The Trustees of the Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation, in recognition of our historical role of supporting access for all of Hawaii’s children to high-quality early education programs welcome applications from eligible high quality pre-schools for a limited pool of tuition assistance.
In 2014, the Trustees have identified $200,000 for tuition assistance. Schools awarded dollars from these funds will administer the grant award, determine which low-income families children will be assisted, and will submit a final report to the foundation office when all funds are expended. Names of recipients need not be included in the report but the number of children assisted and the results of their pre-school attendance should be included. Funds awarded will be available for the 2015 calendar year.
- All eligible applicants must be accredited by either NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) or NECPA (National Early Childhood Program Accreditation), or WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges), or Montessori accreditation.
- Eligible schools will typically enroll large numbers of DHS-qualified low-income students and will be prepared to quantify that number.
- Pre-Schools which are part of PK-grade 6 or grade 8 schools may be accredited through the comprehensive Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
What is needed for a complete application:
- Include a cover letter on official stationary signed by the pre-school director and chairman of the school board.
- Proposal narratives must be a maximum of three pages and include the following information:
- Brief description of the applicant organization, its purpose, its history, its governance, and its current enrollment.
- Concise summary of the scholarship/tuition aid program with a statement of need, measurable program objectives, description of how the activity is to be carried out, an indication of the population to be served, and the plan for evaluating its effectiveness.
- Number of students receiving public and/or private tuition assistance.
- How many students will be helped if the Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation funds the request (estimates are satisfactory).
- How is the pre-school planning to get additional funds to assist low-income families.
- A current revenue and expense budget for the scholarship/tuition aid program, indicating other funding sources and the duration of time over which funds will be needed.
- Additional financial information requested:
- Current organization operating budget (indicate start and end date of fiscal year).
- Income Statement for organization's most recent completed fiscal year (indicate start and end date of fiscal year). Audited financial statements are preferred.
- A copy of the following must be included in your request:
- List of Board members with their professional or business affiliation; and statement as to active participants of board members.
- One Copy of the following items must be included with the proposal packet:
All applications are due by October 1, 2014 and grant awards will be made by December 15, 2014. Applications need not be formal and should be as brief as appropriate to present necessary facts about the applying organization and the scholarship program for which the grant is being sought. Do not bind the request. Submit 2 copies.
- Internal Revenue Service letter advising that the organization is tax-exempt under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Code, and its foundation status under 509 (a) (if not submitted in earlier applications).
- Organization's charter and by-laws, if not previously submitted or amended.
- The proposal is to be sent to the following mailing address:
Alfred L. Castle, Executive Trustee
Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation
733 Bishop Street, Suite 1275
Pacific Guardian Center, Makai Tower
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
- News of the award, if made, may be shared with the media and in-house newsletters, etc. Please do inform parents of children receiving an award that the funds came from the Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation.
- Note that parents of Catholic pre-schools should contact the Augustine Educational Foundation to apply for support from a special Castle Foundation Fund. Catholic pre-schools should not apply for this initiative.
Reporting Guidelines for Final Report
We look forward to learning from your progress, challenges and successes. The report must be signed by the School Head and Board Chair/President. Feel free to contact us if you have questions or require further clarification of our reporting procedures. The final report should be submitted 12 months after the receipt of the award. Any unused funds should be returned to the Foundation. Please consult with Foundation staff should the school have any questions about the award.
The following must also be provided in the report narrative:
- One page narrative about the scholarship/tuition aid program. How were students selected and by whom?
- Number of students assisted from Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation and amount of awards for each student (students should remain anonymous).
- A copy of the document the student is given that indicates notification of the awarding foundation and the dollar amount.