Back to top
Areas of Interest
The Foundation's major fields of interest are:
- Education: Educational programs and/or institutions primarily schools and colleges. (With emphasis on, but not limited to, educational programs providing assistance to the needy or disabled.)
- Religion: Religion-based programs and/or institutions. (With an emphasis on, but not limited to, providing assistance to the needy or disabled... or to benefit a local church in a capital program.)
- Historic Preservation: Historic Preservation programs and/or institutions (including "societies").
- Medical Programs and/or Scientific Research: Medical and/or Scientific programs and/or their affiliated institutions.
- Foreign limitations: The Brotherton Foundation is legally restricted from contributing, in any manner, grant funds which would be utilized outside of the United States or its possessions. It does not fund non-United States-based charitable organizations nor even the work of United States-based organizations abroad.
- United States limitations: The primary geographic areas of funding are North/Central New Jersey and New York City. Exceptions to the geographic guidelines are granted only when a Co-Trustee or Advisory Board Member has personal knowledge of an organization which otherwise conforms to all other Foundation guidelines.
- Further, as a matter of general practice, The Brotherton Foundation does NOT normally approve grant requests falling into the following categories:
- Day Care Programs for Children or Adults
- Documentaries, Films, and Videos
- Environmental Programs
- Legal Aid Programs
- Moving Expenses
- Public Opinion Polls, Surveys, and Research Studies
- Public Policy and/or Advocacy Groups
- Senior Citizens' Programs
- Soup Kitchens and/or Food Banks
- Well-Endowed Institutions
- Organizations lacking tax exempt status under I.R.C. Section 501(c)(3)
- Deficit financing
- Grants to individuals
Please direct all correspondence to:
Ms. Maribeth A. Ligus
Fred J. Brotherton Charitable Foundation
1141 Greenwood Lake Turnpike, Suite C-6
Ringwood, NJ 07456