Search 990s Guided Tour
- After logging in to Foundation Directory Online, the Home Screen appears. Let's explore our search options. Click the Search 990s button.
- The Search 990s database contains over 447,000 IRS Forms 990 and 990-PF recently filed by private foundations and grantmaking public charities. You can search the database by entering criteria in one or more of the fields on the search screen. Let's begin our search by identifying 990s that contain "food bank" and "homeless." Type "food bank" and homeless in the Keyword Search field. Remember to surround phrases with quotation marks to ensure an accurate search.
- Now let's limit our search to 990s that contain "food bank" and "homeless" that were filed in 2006. Type 2006 in the Fiscal Year search field.
- Finally, let's limit our search to 990s that contain "food bank" and "homeless" that were filed in 2006 by grantmakers that are located in the state of California. Type CA in the Grantmaker State Code search field and then click Search.
- Our results list includes multiple 990 filings, listed by relevance. Let's view a filing. Click MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger to open it.
- 990 filings are displayed in Adobe Reader, which automatically displays and highlights the first instance of any word or phrase typed in the Keyword Search field. Click the applicable Adobe Reader tool at the top of the screen to jump to the next instance of a highlighted word or phrase.
- You can link from a 990 filing to its associated grantmaker record to review information on the grantmaker filing the 990. Click View the Grantmaker Profile.
- Notice that grantmaker records have a 990s tab providing links to the latest available IRS Form 990 and 990-PF filings by private foundations and grantmaking public charities. For more information on grantmaker records, please take our Search Grantmakers guided tour. Thank you for taking this tour of FDO's Search 990s database.