A Resource List
This resource list contains citations to selected works from the Foundation Center's bibliographic database, the Catalog of Nonprofit Literature and other web sites. For complete a bibliography on the topic, search the catalog using "education" or other related subject headings.
Research and Analysis
- 2008 Index of Higher Education Fundraising Performance: Summary of Annual Fund Key Performance Indicators. Cambridge, MA: Target Analysis Group, 2009. 12 p. Subject File Number: 703. Full-text link
- Analyses are based on fiscal year 2008 donor transactions from 33 public and 32 private universities and colleges.
- Bacchetti, Ray and Thomas Ehrlich (eds.) Reconnecting Education and Foundations: Turning Good Intentions into Educational Capital. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2007. xxii, 503 p. Call Number: 407 BAC
- Experts contribute essays that explore strategies for building educational capital and enhancing collaboration between foundations and educational institutions.
- Benchmarking 2008: Trends in Education Philanthropy. Portland, OR: Grantmakers for Education. 2008. 20 p. Full-text link
- Analyzes a survey of 152 funders to assess the current state of educational grantmaking, and examine the ways in which funders' priorities have been shifting in recent years. Includes numerous statistical charts and tables.
- Cohen, Rick. Strategic Grantmaking: Foundations and the School Privatization Movement. Washington, DC: National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy, 2007. vi, 34 p. Subject File Number: 211. Full-text link
- Cohen shows how philanthropic capital from small and large foundations has helped build political support for the school privatization agenda using movement-building grantmaking strategies.
- Erisman, Wendy and Shannon M. Looney. Corporate Investments in College Readiness and Access. Washington, DC: Institute for Higher Education Policy, 2008. 32 p. Subject File Number: 214 Full-text link
- This study examines the level of support for college readiness and access initiatives given by Fortune 100 companies, and the practices employed by these corporations to express their support. Includes case studies of Time Warner, Inc. and General Electric.
- Giving USA: The Annual Report on Philanthropy. Indianapolis, IN: Giving USA Foundation. Call Number: 401 AAFR
- An annual statistical analysis of charitable contributions that includes a section on education philanthropy.
- Ginsberg, Alice E. (ed.) and Marybeth Gasman (ed.). Gender and Educational Philanthropy: New Perspectives on Funding, Collaboration, and Assessment. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007. xvi, 261 p. Call Number: 407 GIN
- A collection of essays examining the role of philanthropy, especially foundations, in creating gender equity in K-12 education. Part one defines gender equity with a focus on grantmaking with a "gender lens." Part two explores collaboration between grantmakers, youth, and donors, and also studies specific gender equity programs.
- Kaplan, Ann E. Voluntary Support of Education. New York, NY: Council for Aid to Education, annual. various pagings. Call Number: 401 COU
- Annual report of voluntary giving to colleges, universities, and private elementary and secondary schools. Voluntary support includes donations from individuals, foundations, corporations, religious organizations, and other nongovernmental givers. The book is divided into sections, including survey results, summary tables, and institutional data. Provides detailed analyses and numerous tables.
- Liu, Ying. Institutional Characteristics and Environmental Factors that Influence Private Giving to Public Colleges and Universities: A Longitudinal Analysis. Saarbrücken, Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller, 2007. ix, 104 p. Call Number: 213 LIU
- Liu examines state policy and governance factors in addition to socioeconomic factors and institutional characteristics that may have an effect on voluntary support for public institutions of higher education. The sources of voluntary support that are considered in the research are alumni, other individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Willmer, Wesley Kenneth (ed.) Advancing Small Colleges: A Benchmarking Survey Update. Washington, DC: Council for Advancement and Support of Education, 2008. 135 p. Call Number: 703 WIL ADV
- Analyzes the results of an updated survey of 274 members of the Council of Independent Colleges, the fifth such survey on advancement activities since 1976. Findings from the current study reflect information from the fiscal year 2004-2005, which is compared against data from earlier surveys. Issues covered include trustees' and presidents' roles in advancement, raising funds, integrated marketing, alumni relations, and other topics.
- Burdenski, Robert A. More Innovations in Annual Giving: Ten Global Departures That Worked. Washington, DC: Council for Advancement and Support of Education, 2009. xviii, 107 p. Call Number: BUR INN
- Provides ten case studies of annual giving programs from around the world. The examples highlight strategies related to the Internet, reunion giving, staff appeals, parent programs, data mining, phonathons, leadership gifts, direct mail, and other fundraising topics.
- Clayton, Tonika Cheek. Engaged Partners: The Achieving the Dream Partnership. Portland, OR: Grantmakers for Education, 2008. iv, 30 p. (Principles for Effective Education Grantmaking: Case Study No. 6). Subject File Number: 214. Link to Grantmakers for Education Case Studies
- The Achieving the Dream is a national initiative focused on improving the success rates of minority and low-income community college students. It was originally conceived and funded by the Lumina Foundation for Education. Over several years, the program has garnered additional funders and participating community colleges.
- Mathews, Jay. "Giving to the Gifted." Philanthropy vol. 23 (Winter 2009) p. 13-5. Subject File Number: 210. Full-text link
- Provides examples of privately funded programs that support high-achieving, lower-income students.
- Walker, Gary. Midcourse Corrections to a Major Initiative: A Report on the James Irvine Foundation's CORAL Experience. San Francisco, CA: James Irvine Foundation, 2007. 23 p. Subject File Number: 416. Full-text link
- An analysis of the changes made to Communities Organizing Resources to Advance Learning (CORAL), a major initiative by the James Irvine Foundation, midway through its implementation. Contains lessons and recommendations on planning and running a large-scale philanthropic program.
Digital Grant Guides
- Grants for Elementary and Secondary Education. Digital ed. New York, NY: Foundation Center. 2008. Purchase
- Lists more than 18,000 grants of $10,000 or more made by more than 1,100 foundations, mostly in 2006 and 2007, to private and public schools for academic programs, school libraries, scholarships, counseling programs, dropout prevention, teacher education and training, salary support, equipment, student athletics and activities, and renovations and construction.
- Grants for Higher Education. Digital ed. New York, NY: Foundation Center. 2008. Purchase
- Lists 21,500 grants of $10,000 or more made by 1,200 foundations, mostly in 2006 and 2007, to colleges, universities, and technological institutes, for programs in all disciplines at the undergraduate and graduate levels (including professional schools). These grants include those made to academic libraries and student services and organizations.
- Grantmakers for Education
- A network of more than 230 funders dedicated to improving educational opportunities and success for students from the pre-kindergarten level up through college.
- Global Philanthropy Forum
- In collaboration with the Global Philanthropy Forum the Foundation Center provided background statistics coupled with examples of innovative solutions supported by philanthropy on five key areas of activity being addressed at the Forum, including access to education.
Other Foundation Center Tools
- Foundation Directory Online
- Learn about current funding priorities of education funders by searching the Center's comprehensive database of U.S. grantmakers.
- FC Stats
- Identify foundation giving trends in education by reviewing statistical tables developed by the Foundation Center.
- Philanthropy News Digest - PND
- Browse the latest news on education philanthropy at PND, the Center's online news service.
- Search PubHub to find recent foundation-sponsored reports on the subject of education. You can also subscribe to PubHub's education RSS feed.