Virtual Services Assistant (Part-time)
Foundation Center is looking for an experienced, highly energetic part-time Virtual Services Assistant who is excited about the social sector and dedicated to mission driven objectives.
FOUNDATION CENTER is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training we connect people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Our organization's mission is to strengthen the social sector by advancing knowledge about philanthropy in the U.S. and around the world. Our vision is a world enriched by the effective allocation of philanthropic resources, informed public discourse about philanthropy, and broad understanding of the contributions of nonprofit activity to increasing opportunity and transforming lives.
Foundation Center’s Social Sector Outreach Department is one of the most forward-facing units of the organization and engages directly with a diverse network of constituents. With an emerging ‘bricks and clicks’ strategy as its key driver, the department contributes to the success of the social sector by connecting people to the resources they need to thrive. This includes in-person trainings at our field offices, 450+ Funding Information Network locations in 13 countries, as well as web-based trainings via webinars, live chats, discussions, and more.
POSITION: Part-time Virtual Services Assistant (telecommuting/working remotely is an option)
REPORTING TO: Manager of Network Engagement
LOCATION: New York, NY or Remote Location
SCHEDULE: Flexible hours Monday through Friday (maximum of 19 hours per week)
The Virtual Services Assistant assists with and enhances the virtual services offered by the Social Sector Outreach team, specifically Foundation Center’s Ask Us virtual reference service and GrantSpace.org, the public web portal for its Social Sector Outreach team and one of the Center’s most visited web properties. This person coordinates regular communications strategy and channels for GrantSpace, and may interact directly with customers via the online chat platform. The Virtual Services Assistant reports to the Director of Network Engagement and works very closely with the GrantSpace Specialist to craft and curate the customer experience – both onsite and online.
Grantspace.org support (85%)
- Produce content for and manage regular communications strategy and channels, including:
- Daily social media content
- Weekly blog posts
- Monthly e-newsletter
- Regularly monitor all website and communication channels analytics (Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Cheetahmail, Gigya, YouTube) and deliver metrics as needed to other team members.
- In coordination with the GrantSpace Specialist, co-manage regular content creation and maintenance for GrantSpace.
- Perform other duties and special projects for GrantSpace, as assigned.
Ask Us Support (15%)
- Respond to reference questions via email and chat during designated shifts.
- Help to identify, create and maintain a library of Ask Us reference resources in response to staff and user feedback, demand and frequent questions.
- Help to create and maintain Ask Us training materials and coordinate with the GrantSpace Specialist and Customer Service to train new staff.
- Work with Network Engagement Manager on collecting and reporting Ask Us analytics.
- Perform other duties and special projects for the Ask Us service, as assigned.
- Knowledge of and interest in the work of the nonprofit/social sector community.
- Experience in using online content marketing and knowledge of social media principles, best practices, and trends.
- Oral communication skills, including public speaking experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in nonprofit management, library science, English, or marketing/communications.
- Serious, proven commitment to excellent customer service, user experience, and audience development.
- Highly organized and able to work on deadline with minimal direct supervision.
- Experience in working regularly with remote staff in multiple time zones.
- Exceptional written communication skills and experience in using promotional channels such as social media, e-newsletters, and blogs to share information and compelling stories.
- Enjoys working with and engaging a diverse group of community members in the social sector.
- Broad base of experience with instructional and office technology, including Microsoft Office and Google Drive products.
- Basic HTML knowledge and interest in usability principles for websites.
- Due to the fact that this is a remote-based position, the following is also required: access to a private enclosed room, a dedicated phone line, computer with high speed internet connection, standard office suite software, and the bandwidth/ability to download additional software provided by Foundation Center.