Social Sector Librarian (Part-time)
Foundation Center is seeking an engaging and knowledgeable team player who is passionate about connecting nonprofits to the resources they need to thrive, both in-person and online.
Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit Foundation Center's website each day and are served in its five regional hubs and its network of more than 400 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and around the world.
POSITION: Social Sector Librarian (Part-time)
REPORTING TO: New York Lead
SCHEDULE: Two Library shifts (10 am – 2 pm Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) and one Online Library shift (2.5 hours) each week, for a total of 10.5 hours weekly. Additional hours available throughout the year to support special programs, attend team meetings, and cover library shifts during staff vacations and sick days.
LOCATION: NYC (downtown Manhattan)
The Social Sector Librarian supports the library services and educational programs offered at Foundation Center’s New York Library and Learning Center, providing information, resources, and expertise to nonprofit professionals who visit the Center.
- Staff library reference desk on a regular basis and provide reference assistance to emerging and seasoned nonprofit and social sector professionals who visit the library
- Provide library visitors and program participants with guidance on Foundation Center resources and services
- Provide library visitors with instruction and expertise on the use of Foundation Directory Online and other fundraising databases
- Lead orientations and library tours on the library resources
- Maintain the physical library space, including organizing supply and display of Foundation Center literature and resources, re-shelving books, and maintaining library and office materials
- Update library handouts and user aids on topics and issue areas common to library visitors
- Provide on-call coverage of library reference desk during staff vacations or sick days
- Staff the Ask Us virtual (chat and e-mail) reference service through regularly scheduled shifts
- Participate in other special GrantSpace.org projects as needed
- Assemble materials and handouts for classes and outreach programs
- Perform data entry for class registrations
- Support New York Lead and library staff with reports and special projects
- Order and maintain office supplies
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BA/BS degree or currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, preferably in library information science or nonprofit management; MLS or MPA a plus
- 2+ years of experience in library services, fundraising/grant writing, and/or nonprofit management
- Knowledge of computer networks and applications, and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) with the ability to develop expertise in Foundation Center databases and platforms such as Foundation Directory Online
- Nonprofit and/or customer service experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication and customer service skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities