Knowledge Services Associate
Foundation Center is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented Knowledge Services Associate, who is excited about the social sector and dedicated to mission-driven objectives, to help support communications, data collection and analysis, social media, special projects, and operational logistics.
Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit Foundation Center's website each day and are served in its five regional hubs and its network of more than 400 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and around the world.
POSITION: Knowledge Services Associate
REPORTING TO: Director of Stakeholder Engagement
LOCATION: NYC (downtown Manhattan)
The Knowledge Services division of Foundation Center is focused on empowering donors and civil society more broadly with the tools they need to be more strategic. We translate the data, experiences, and knowledge of the field into usable resources to advance the practice of philanthropy worldwide. The Knowledge Services Associate will provide critical support to all aspects of the division’s cross-cutting work, including special projects and key Foundation Center platforms like CF Insights, GrantCraft, Glasspockets, and IssueLab.
- Provide critical support for the GrantCraft.org web platform, including coordinating bug fixes, responding to user queries, adding new content, keeping the homepage updated, developing monthly newsletters, and managing the social media feed.
- Cultivate and edit short form content (blogs, videos, infographics, etc.) that advance grantmaker learning.
- Provide support for---and eventually represent us at---externally-facing workshops and events.
- Assist with implementation of department projects and strategies. This includes project coordination and reviewing work of temporary staff.
- Provide administrative support to a diverse array of initiatives involving data, research, maps and other visualization tools, websites, portals, and platforms.
- Interpret and summarize detailed and complex information about philanthropy in a way that makes it accessible and understandable to a broad audience.
- Prepare PowerPoint slides, handouts, and other presentation materials.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Assist with drafting, editing, and proofreading proposals and funder reports, surveys, scopes of work, website and social media copy, reports, fact sheets, and other knowledge resources.
- Organize content and formatting for department eNewsletters and other communications platforms.
- Proactively assist with analytics tracking and daily maintenance of core websites managed by the knowledge services team.
- Provide preparatory and follow-up support on partnership development and custom projects for the director of stakeholder engagement.
- Build strong working relationships with teams across Foundation Center.
- Embrace a team mentality, have the ability to juggle various projects and tasks while not losing sight of details, and don’t forget to have a sense of humor.
- Excellent and varied writing skills that translate well across formal reports, client emails, website copy, social media, and blog posts.
- Learn quickly and balance asking questions with just digging in.
- BA/BS; preferably in a social science field such as sociology or economics.
- Experience working on data-driven research projects required.
- Familiarity with the U.S. foundation/philanthropic field; international experience in development or philanthropy a plus.
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years of mission-driven work.
- Experience doing communications work is a plus.
- In-depth experience MS Office. Proficiency with data visualization, web design, GIS, and graphic design software is a plus; as is experience with other programming languages (SQL, Python, Java, CSS, HTML).
- Strong organizational and planning skills, and understand that collaboration and accountability are critical.