Knowledge Services Associate
Are you excited about the social sector and dedicated to mission-driven objectives, and do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? If you do, this is the role for you. Foundation Center is seeking a Knowledge Services Associate with research and programming skills to join our Knowledge Services team.
Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit Foundation Center's website each day and are served in its five regional hubs and its network of more than 400 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and around the world.
POSITION: Knowledge Services Associate
REPORTING TO: Knowledge Services Manager
LOCATION: NYC (downtown Manhattan)
The Knowledge Services division of Foundation Center is focused on empowering donors with the tools they need to be more strategic. We translate the data, experiences, and knowledge of the field of philanthropy into usable resources to advance philanthropic practice.
The Knowledge Services Associate will assist with implementation of department projects and strategies and provide critical support for a diverse array of initiatives involving data, research, maps and other visualization tools, and website development.
- Develop and execute research projects, with an emphasis on quantitative data and statistical analyses, but also including qualitative data collection methods.
- Collect, clean, and code quantitative and qualitative data.
- Conduct data analyses using statistical software and prepare statistical tables and charts.
- Work with staff across departments to implement projects and perform quality assurance checks.
- Interpret and summarize detailed and complex information about philanthropy in a way that is accessible to a broad audience.
- Prepare PowerPoint slides, handouts, and other presentation materials.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Conduct literature reviews.
- Draft, edit, and proofread reports, grant proposals, surveys, blog pieces, and newsletters.
- Review and refresh online content and track analytics on websites managed by the Knowledge Services team.
- Assist in creating communication plans and coordinate dissemination efforts with our Stakeholder Engagement team.
- Support the Knowledge Services Vice President, Directors, and Managers in partnership development and custom projects.
- Coordinate the efforts of temporary staff and review their work.
- You embrace a team mentality, collaboratively working with co-workers and partner organizations.
- You have strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- You have a keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- You have excellent writing skills and communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- You hold a college degree, preferably in a social science field, such as sociology or economics, and have training in statistics and research methods.
- You’ve had a minimum of two years of research-related work after college, which includes experience analyzing large datasets and preparing research reports.
- You learn quickly and balance asking questions with just digging in.
- You are familiar with the U.S. foundation/philanthropic field. Familiarity with international philanthropy and global development is a plus.
- You have in-depth experience in MS Office and statistical analysis software such as SAS or SPSS. SQL experience is a plus, as is experience with data visualization, web design, GIS, graphic design software, or other programming languages (Python, Java, CSS, HTML).