Community Outreach Manager - Cleveland, OH
Foundation Center is seeking a talented professional to lead community-based programming throughout the Midwestern U.S. and serve as relationship manager to Foundation Center’s network of affiliates across 13 states.
Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit Foundation Center's website each day and are served in its five regional hubs and its network of more than 400 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and around the world.
POSITION: Community Outreach Manager - Cleveland, OH
Director of Foundation Center Midwest
LOCATION: Cleveland, OH
TERRITORY SCOPE: 13 Midwest States (KS, IL, IN, IO, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, OK, SD, WI)
As part of the Foundation Center’s (FC) 2020 Plan, we are leaning into our commitment to help level the playing field for small to midsize organizations and individuals with game-changing ideas. This plan calls for building and maintaining authentic relationships with various stakeholders throughout the globe, while also understanding the capacity building needs of the social sector from multiple vantage points. Foundation Center’s Social Sector Outreach (SSO) team is responsible for developing and delivering direct services to nonprofits via digital and in-person tools, trainings, and convenings. SSO team members are based throughout the U.S. and in addition to colleagues based out of FC’s Headquarters in New York, each of its four geographic regions (FC Midwest, FC Northeast, FC South, and FC West) is managed by talented professionals who are bringing our mission to life each day.
This Cleveland-based Community Outreach Manager (COM) will provide outreach, program development and training throughout their respective region. Their goal is to increase Foundation Center’s visibility by connecting the social sector to the resources it needs to thrive. In addition to providing classes, special programs, webinars and or full day courses, the (COM) in collaboration with other teammates will serve as the relationship manager to approximately 100 Funding Information Network (FIN) affiliates throughout the region, helping FC to maintain close linkages with the audiences we passionately build solutions for every day.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT FOCUS
- Create and lead varied capacity building programming to serve a diverse, wide-ranging social sector on topics related to fundraising, leadership and management, and organizational sustainability
- Conduct programs for virtual and in-person audiences (includes wearing many hats: teaching, moderating, and hosting workshops).
- Virtual learning programs will require using a number of different technology platforms including Go-To Meetings, a learning management system, and live-steaming tools.
- In collaboration with our New York-based Programs Team, lead and/or participate in training initiatives including content development, content revision, trainer evaluation, and course evaluation.
- As needed, support the development of customized training content for contract trainings.
- Support ‘train the trainer’ workshops where necessary.
- Help establish policies and procedures for program implementation, identifying ways to increase effectiveness of trainings and convenings on national, regional, and local trainings levels.
- Work with the Director to attract partners for outreach activities, special programs and contract/custom training.
NETWORK ENGAGEMENT FOCUS
- Serve as a key point of contact, along with the Cleveland Lead, for our FIN partners across the region, this responsibility may include, but is not limited to:
- Create annual recruitment, retention, training, and marketing plans for partners, given tools and parameters developed by our New York-based Network Engagement and Marketing Teams
- Organize partner site visits based on priority markets.
- Develop partner-growth plans and working collaboratively with contacts at FIN partner sites across the region to help them meet their quality assurance goals via the Network Achievement Report (NAR).
- Where possible, support the design and delivery of the annual Network Days conference, particularly if it is hosted in the COM’s region.
THOUGHT LEADERSHIP FOCUS
- Support the Director in promoting collaborative efforts with other social sector organizations.
- Participate in regional and national forums as appropriate.
- Stay abreast of latest capacity building trends and solutions on a national, regional, and local level.
- Serve as a thoughtful and supportive team member of the FC Midwest Team, contributing meaningfully to other key programs and services housed within the unit.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, plus 3-5 years of experience in the social sector and/or in a territory management role. Graduate degree preferred.
- Strong background in program and event development and or adult learning methods and theory.
- Resilient, ability to deal well with ambiguity and change, with a kind spirit and great attitude.
- Strong work ethic and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment.
- Skilled at participating in and leading internal and external teams or task forces.
- Adept at working with and authentically engaging with a diverse group of community members.
- Ability to “think on your feet” and effectively handle conversations with multiple high-level stakeholders.
- Experience in design, development, and presentation of training modules and programming.
- Disciplined self-starter and collaborative team player.
- Superb detail-orientation and follow-through; customer oriented.
- Excellent written, presentation, interpersonal, and people-influencing skills.
- High degree of comfort using Word, PowerPoint and content management systems.
- Familiarity with distance learning strategies a plus.
- Ability to develop productive relationships with remote colleagues, based across various time zones.
- Willing to travel up to 20% of the time, including both day trips and overnight stays, involving driving for several hours at a time.