Director of Foundation Center South
As the Director of Foundation Center South, you will bring an entrepreneurial spirit, strategic leadership skills, and a spirited enthusiasm to build Foundation Center's presence and impact in one of the fastest-growing philanthropic markets in the world.
FOUNDATION CENTER is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training we connect people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Our organization's mission is to strengthen the social sector by advancing knowledge about philanthropy in the U.S. and around the world. Our vision is a world enriched by the effective allocation of philanthropic resources, informed public discourse about philanthropy, and broad understanding of the contributions of nonprofit activity to increasing opportunity and transforming lives.
POSITION: Director of Foundation Center South
REPORTING TO: Vice President for Social Sector Outreach
MANAGEMENT SCOPE: Foundation Center South Staff
TERRITORY SCOPE: 11 Southern States (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX)
In this key role, you will be entrusted with sharpening our ability to expand and elevate Foundation Center's value proposition across the South, a territory of 11 states (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX) and four possible cities (Charlotte, Miami, Houston and Dallas) in addition to Atlanta. The position is based in Atlanta and housed within our Social Sector Outreach department, the most public-facing unit of the organization that engages directly with a diverse network of constituents. The Social Sector Outreach team contributes to the success of the social sector by connecting people to the resources they need to thrive. This includes access to a suite of products, services, and special programming via several Foundation Center offices and 450+ Funding Information Network affiliates, with more than 100 in the Southern region; as well as in-person and web-based trainings, live chats, discussions, and more.
Based out of our office in Atlanta, the Director of Foundation Center South will lead a talented team, while bringing our strategy to life.
Relationship Cultivator and Manager
- Initiate conversations with key regional community builders (regional associations of grantmakers, state associations of nonprofits, nonprofit resource centers, social innovation centers, leading foundations and United Way chapters) to determine regional needs; maintain and build upon established relationships.
- Identify and cultivate regional prospects for fundraising; develop proposal narratives and logic models to support requests.
- Represent Foundation Center at key events and forums locally and nationally.
Strategic and Operational Leader
- Oversee the daily operations of Foundation Center South office.
- Develop/maintain strong relationships with the 100+ Funding Information Network affiliates in the region.
- Optimize Foundation Center South presence through operations and/or partnerships in five key cities within the region with support from community funding partners.
- Develop a facilities optimization strategy for Foundation Center South operation (e.g., creating residency opportunities for nonprofit organizations and experts, develop paid programming to offset costs, and actively cultivate foundation and corporate support).
- In collaboration with peers across the country, develop unique programs and initiatives that meet the needs of and provide substantive value to key audiences.
Ambassador and Change Agent
- Build a deep understanding of key Foundation Center products and services and their target audiences to determine ideal consumers.
- Be a strong voice of both advocacy and constructive feedback to headquarters on what will work on the ground and what will not; submit annual strategy recommendations to leadership team.
- Work as a team member with the Vice President of Social Sector Outreach and Head of Domestic Strategy and Innovation on execution of five-year strategy and annual ground game for Foundation Center.
- Serve as a champion of change and innovation within the department and the organization.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTER
You know the social sector.
You have worked in the nonprofit field and are inspired by helping others reach their goals and visions.
You are a creative and innovative thinker.
You think outside of the box when faced with challenges and coming up with solutions. You are flexible and adaptable to a fast-paced, changing environment.
You have a team ethos.
You thrive in a small office environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission. You're excited to work cross-functionally with other colleagues across the region and country.
You're remarkably people-oriented.
You have an innate social intelligence. You can relate to all types of people. You're a skilled conversationalist, and a good listener. You enjoy meeting new people and developing and maintaining relationships.
You're a communications ace.
You provide information and share ideas in a courteous, responsive and engaging manner. You're passionate about giving every partner, patron, and friend of the Center an unforgettable experience.
- Bachelor's degree, advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years of demonstrated experience leading teams, managing facilities, and developing programs
- Experience working in or with the social sector, capacity building initiatives, and accelerators preferred
- Track record of success in fundraising and financial management
- Energetic, organized self-starter with significant comfort in leading small teams
- Ability to delegate and manage multiple initiatives effectively — on time and on budget
- Experience with collecting and analyzing both quantitative & qualitative data
- Exceptional written communication and presentation skills
- Team player with a sense of humor and winning attitude
- Willingness to travel approximately 20% of the time, serving as an ambassador for the organization
- Cultural sensitivity and experience working with people from diverse backgrounds preferred