Foundation Center is seeking a talented, detail oriented, highly motivated collaborator to lead and manage all aspects of Foundation Center’s accounting and payroll responsibilities.
FOUNDATION CENTER is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training we connect people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Our organization's mission is to strengthen the social sector by advancing knowledge about philanthropy in the U.S. and around the world. Our vision is a world enriched by the effective allocation of philanthropic resources, informed public discourse about philanthropy, and broad understanding of the contributions of nonprofit activity to increasing opportunity and transforming lives.
REPORTING TO: Vice President for Financial Strategy
MANAGEMENT SCOPE: Accounting Manager and Payroll Manager
LOCATION: NYC (downtown Manhattan)
The Controller will oversee the Accounting department, which also includes oversight of the payroll function. The primary focus of this role is to ensure that all of Foundation Center's financial records are maintained accurately, and that information is disseminated on a timely basis. The Controller will work with all department heads across the organization to foster a collaborative budgeting and reporting process while also assisting the Vice President for Financial Strategy in preparing financial reports and exhibits for the Board of Trustees. This role is also responsible for leading, planning, and organizing the annual year-end audit and is the main point-of-contact with the audit firm.
- Supervises the Accounting Manager and Payroll Manager.
- Coordinates the preparation of budgets and financial reports for the Center’s projects and donors including amounts spent on special projects and for the regional offices.
- Monitors and projects income and expenses throughout the year by reviewing actual results compared to the budget and the prior year utilizing NetSuite financial reports and a variety of supporting schedules. Ensures that the Center has a small positive margin by year-end.
- Reviews and signs Accounts Payable checks.
- Serves as primary contact with the Center's banks.
- Manages cash flow.
- Reviews and approves journal entries as needed.
- Assists the Facilities and Office Services Manager with completing insurance forms.
- Reviews the revenue recognition for restricted grants and contracts.
- Reviews NetSuite financial reports and other accounting reports and identifies unusual fluctuations compared to the budget or the prior year and investigates them.
- Reviews benefits and professional fees expenses as compared to the budget and projects expenses for the year.
- Supervises month-end closing and reporting.
- Researches and answers financial questions raised by department heads and the Vice President for Financial Strategy.
- Prepares unaudited balance sheets.
- Reviews quarterly entries such as accounts payable accruals, etc.
- Works with the Vice President for Financial Strategy to prepare financial reports, memos, exhibits, and other materials for mailing and presentation to the Finance and Investment and Audit Committees and the Board of Trustees.
- Plans and coordinates the year-end audit; prepares the draft audited financial statements; works with the audit firm on accounting issues that come up throughout the year.
- Coordinates 403(b) Plan audit with the audit firm and Human Resources; prepares Form 5500 for each 403(b) Plan; and dissemination of Summary Annual Report (SAR) to each 403(b) Plan participants.
- Reviews the investment schedule for Commonfund; reviews journal entries for interest, dividend, and realized and unrealized gains and losses.
- Participates with the Vice President for Financial Strategy in preparing and delivering financial information sharing to all staff.
- Reviews and approves all year-end entries.
- Reviews/prepares year-end financial statements.
- Reviews/prepares the 990 and related state returns.
- Reviews reconciliation of payroll register and benefits schedule to the general ledger and W-2's.
- Reviews and approves state charitable registration filings.
- Participates in the workmen compensation insurance audit as needed.
- Coordinates annual budget preparation; works with the Vice President for Financial Strategy and department heads to prepare the Center's annual budget.
- Reviews the reconciliation of the Development system reports to the NetSuite financial reports.
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting; CPA or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Accounting and supervision of staff required
- Familiarity with computer applications in Accounting, Excel, and Word