New Tools, Resources Launched at "Foundations for Education Excellence"
Online Portal Helps Grantmakers Leverage Investments to Improve Education
Communications Project Manager
The Foundation Center
(888) 356-0354, ext. 701
New York, NY -- January 5, 2011. The Foundation Center has launched the next phase of Foundations for Education Excellence, an initiative that helps grantmakers identify promising practices and partnerships in the education field nationwide. The updated site, along with a new series of webinars and teleconferences, facilitates funders' search for high-impact programs in education.
"The midterm elections have altered the landscape of public funding for education," observed Foundation Center president, Bradford Smith. "In this uncertain climate, Foundations for Education Excellence empowers private funders with the tools they need to be more strategic about investments in education."
Featured resources include:
- New "focus" pages with information on specific topics, such as teacher quality and effectiveness, preparation for college, low-performing schools, early learning, educational standards, among others. Each of these pages features summaries of foundation-sponsored reports and issue briefs, lists of top funders and recipients, and links to other knowledge sources on the respective topic.
- An expanded scope of the daily news feed from Philanthropy News Digest beyond elementary and secondary school education to include announcements of new programs and grants in areas ranging from pre-K through college and career.
- Additional news feeds from the U.S. Department of Education to keep funders apprised of program announcements and guidelines.
- Social networking features to engage grantmakers around common interests.
- A new series of webinars and teleconferences that bring together representatives from foundations, government agencies, and research and public policy organizations to discuss how stakeholders can reshape the education agenda on the national, state, and local levels.
The Foundations for Education Excellence online portal also features Philanthropy In/Sight®: Education, a customized version of the Center's Philanthropy In/Sight® mapping tool that helps grantmakers maximize their investments in education. With this tool, demographic and socio-economic indicators can be overlaid with grants data to assess needs within specific geographic parameters, such as school districts. Through support from the C.S. Mott and JPMorgan Chase foundations, grantmakers can register to use the tool free of charge.
The Foundations for Education Excellence project began in 2009 with support from the C.S. Mott Foundation to assist grantmakers in leveraging federal funds available through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act for improving education. The Center will continue to collaborate with grantmaker membership organizations and the U.S. Department of Education to bring timely programs, information, and news to funders in the field. Hot links to ed.gov and other partner organizations will make the portal an even more important one-stop shop for funders working to improve educational opportunity for all.
Foundations for Education Excellence may be accessed at: foundationcenter.org/educationexcellence.
About the Foundation Center
Established in 1956 and today supported by close to 550 foundations, the Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. The Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants -- a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit the Center's web site each day and are served in its five regional library/learning centers and its network of 450 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and beyond. For more information, please visit foundationcenter.org or call (212) 620-4230.